Breast pocket "cut too deep"? What is wrong with my breasts? (Photo)

Breast augmentation in '07 at 19 yo (saline, under armpit.) Few months post-op noticed left breast was significantly "longer" than right. Went back for 6mo post-op, doctor admitted to having "cut left pocket too deep." Had revision surgery in which he made an incision under my left breast & sutured pocket closed. Breast got a little better, but is significantly different than "perfect" right breast. What is wrong with left breast? Is it possible for nipples to be more symmetric? Thank you!!

You have double bubble in your left breast

Your left implant has dissected below the natural breast on that side.  Thus your implant is essentially peeking below the crease and giving you what is called a double bubble.

Bottomed out implant

From the photos you have included, it does appear that the left breast is bottomed out. If you've already had an attempt at just suturing the capsule and this has not worked than a secondary procedure should be tried. In cases such as yours, I will typically add to the repair at the bottom a segment of Strattice. In my hands, adding this and a dermal flap at the bottom has not led to recurrence of bottomed out implants. I recommend you go back to your plastic surgeon to discuss your options. It is fixable. Good luck.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Breast implants

Dear Dani,

It does appear that the left breast may have bottomed out.  There also is a double bubble deformity on the left side.

The best approach for this problem is to raise the position of the left implant.  If the implant is under the muscle, which seems likely based on your photos and history, the implant would need to be placed over the muscle to correct the double bubble deformity.  This would need to be done on both sides to ensure symmetry.

Shim Ching, MD
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Breast asymmetry

You describe and have recurrent bottoming out of left breast. Your left breast and nipple started higher so your surgeon tried to even the creases out and as a result it exaggerates your left higher nipple position. It's tough to see if the bottoms are now even or if the left is still lower. If lower further tightening to elevate fold will improve nipple position. Best to discuss with your surgeon.