Whats Botox? (photos)

Whats Botox used for/help with, and should I consider getting it done? Can I get Botox done if I've just had Radiesse/dermal fillers injected? Is there any bad long term risks of using Botox? I heard Botox can take care of a forehead wrinkles? I have minor Ptosis in both my eyes, Is there any risk Botox could pose on the Ptosis or is there nothing to worry about?

What is Botox

Botox is a toxin that can be used cosmetically treat facial wrinkles by paralyzing the muscles. It is very commonly used alongside fillers, so that is not a problem. Seeing how you already have some minor ptosis, please make sure to visit a very qualified injector so that it does not make the ptosis worse. Botox generally begins to wear off over approximately 3-4 months and will have to be repeated to maintain desired results.

Huntsville Plastic Surgeon

Botox for forehead wrinkles

I use Botox all the time to reduce the appearance of forehead wrinkles.  In fact, I've had this done to myself.  Botox is done by injecting tiny amounts of the product into the muscle.  It is non-invasive and quick. Results last on average 3-4 months, sometimes longer.  It is best to be conservative in this area because too much Botox can make the brows heavy or sag.  Make sure to see an experienced injector.
Regards,
Dr. Ort

Richard Ort, MD
Lone Tree Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox and foreheads

Botox is a brand of botulism toxin used to relax muscles.  The frontalis muscle of the forehead lifts eyebrows up, so if it is relaxed too much it can make ptosis worse.  Botox can be used in addition to Radiesse/dermal fillers.  The dermal fillers fill and thus help lift the eyebrows.  There are no long term risks to botox other than the rare patient that seems to develop an immunity to it after many years of use.   As with anything, start slow and in moderation.  If it works for you, great, repeat.  If you don't like it, it wears off in a relatively short amount of time.

Marla M. Klein, MD
Lake Oswego Dermatologic Surgeon

Uses of Botos

You ask a lot of questions and that is good. Yes, you can have Botox in conjunction with fillers, will help forehead lines, can have injections even though you have ptosis but choose your doctor carefully--only a board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon. What is it used for--in the US the only approvals are crow's feet, lines around the eyes, increased sweating, migraine headaches but there are myriads of other off-label uses. There are also many forms of botulinum toxin 3 of which (Botox, Dysport and Xeomin) are approved in the US and they are equivalent in effects and side effecti

Melvin Elson, MD
Nashville Dermatologist

Botox uses...

Thank you for your question.  Botox is used to relax muscles causing smoothing of wrinkles.  Yes, Botox can be injected just after fillers.  Botox is very well tolerated, with few potential risks and side effects.  Yes, Botox can treat your forehead wrinkles.  Regarding your ptosis you would need to be evaluated in person by a board certified Dermatologist/PS.  Regards, Dr. Matt Elias

Matthew Elias, DO, FAAD
Fort Lauderdale Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox

Thank you for your question Austinou88. Botox is a purified protein used to address wrinkles associated with facial expression such as the horizontal lines seen on the forehead when one raises the brows. When injected into the skin Botox will relax the muscles and smoothen out the wrinkles. People can have Botox treatments on the same day as fillers or before or after a filler treatment. Risks of Botox include pain, bleeding, bruising, swelling, redness, and infection. Other risk include droopy eyelids, blurred vision, and other side effects associated with movement of the Botox. Such side effects typically resolve in less than 3-4 months. Please consult with a doctor for specific recommendations. Good luck!

Alex Eshaghian, MD, PhD
Encino Physician

What is Botox?

Botox is a product that prevents muscle movements that create creases in the overlying skin. Botox works by inhibiting the signal that your nerves send to your muscles that tell them to contract. Botox and toxins like it are an excellent option for smoothing forehead wrinkles, lines between eyebrows, crows feet and a wide array of other cosmetic concerns. 

Justin Harper, MD
Columbus Physician

Botox – What to expect

Thanks for your question. This is a question that we get asked often by our patients.  As far as Botox treatments, muscle hyperactivity would likely require treatment 3 times a year.  Botox effects can last anywhere from 4-6 months and with recurrent treatments, this will lead to mild atrophy of the muscle, and some prolongation of Botox's effects.  Botox effects are never permanent, however, if you elected to stop, your muscle would hypertrophy back to its original size. These are advanced techniques so be sure to get an experienced cosmetic dermatologist consultation for recommendations and treatment options.

Alim R. Devani, MD, FRCPC
Calgary Dermatologist

Botox uses

Thank you for your question. Yes, you can get Botox done after just having Radiesse/dermal fillers injected. There are no bad long term risks of using Botox. You do not have to worry about your ptosis. Yes, Botox will improve the look of your forehead lines. Botox is used to improve the look of moderate to severe frown lines. It is also used as a preventative method for wrinkles. As you age, your skin becomes less elastic, so the frown lines that only appear when frowning will soon become permanent. To prevent that, patients get Botox. Botox stops your muscles from creating frown lines. Once Botox is injected, it can take as little as 4 days and up to 10 days to activate.

Areas where Botox is used:
  • Horizontal forehead wrinkles
  • Vertical lines between the eyebrows (glabellar lines)
  • Crow’s feet (lines that form on the sides of your eyes)
  • Lipstick or smoker’s lines (lines that form above the upper lip)

Bruce E. Katz, MD

What is Botox?

Over time, the repeated movement of certain muscles, such as those in the forehead, can cause the overlying skin to crease. As the skin becomes less elastic, repeated contraction of these muscles creates visible lines and wrinkles, even at rest! Botox treatments relax the underlying muscles that causes these lines. Once the muscles are at rest, the skin becomes smoother, creating a more youthful, natural, and wrinkle-free appearance. Facial expression is still possible, but with more subtle movements and without all of the wrinkles that you once had.

Brian S. Glatt, MD, FACS
Morristown Plastic Surgeon