Cut out fat instead liposuction for my procedure? (Photo)

I'm currently 38 yo mom of 2 (13,17 via C-sec) 5'5, 187 w/ 35.6% body fat. As a apple shaped woman my trouble areas are my entire abdominal & back region. I've been contemplating a breast reduction/ lift however I'm afraid of losing nipple sensation, or even worse, getting keloids around my areola. I developed keloid scars w/ C-Secs, but steroid injection minimized 2nd scar. I would like to lose about 20-25lbs prior to PS. So, am I a Canidate for a mommy make over, or just traditional lipo?

Cut out fat instead liposuction for my procedure?

Tummy tuck with liposuction of the sides, back, and bra rolls would
likely produce the best results.  If you want the breasts lifted or
reshaped, skin will need to be removed.  There are many options here.

About the Mommy Makeover and Ideal Techniques

It's difficult to suggest without a in-person one-on-one consultation. The Mommy Makeover is a combination of procedures to bring a woman’s body back to the way she looked prior to pregnancy. Most commonly some variation of a #TummyTuck and #BreastSurgery are performed. #MummyTummy is a term given to modified tummy tucks which can use liposuction and skin tightening with radiofrequency such Vanquish, Vela3, thermage, thermiRF and others.  The actual fat contouring can be done non-surgically as well with #UltraShape or Cool-Sculpting. Additional procedures can include liposuction, umbilical hernia repair.  The most common #breastprocedures include #mastopexy or #breastlift, #breastaugmentation, or #breastreduction. 
Many procedures can be combined. Cosmetic procedures such as Brazilian Butt Lift (#BBL), Thigh Lift (#TL) and Mommy Makeover (#MMO), which usually concentrates on the breast and abdomen areas, may be combined together. However, I look at the risk factors such as surgery time greater than 6 hours, or #anesthesia time, increased risks of DVT, prolonged  #healing, #positioning after surgery to name a few, which are a lot to consider. These factors are relative to performing any variety of combinations. 
The suitability of your procedures and any specific risks may be determined during you #consultation. Your procedures should be performed by a #PlasticSurgeon who is board-certified and has a great deal of experience specializing in cosmetic #surgery. You will then greatly improve your chances of getting the result you desire, and, without the need for a revision surgery. It is suggested that you look at before and after photos of the surgeons actual patients, and read patient reviews. All surgical #procedures carry some degree of #risk. Always discuss your issues and concerns with the Plastic Surgeon during and following your consultation. Also, another element to a #satisfying result of your procedures are realistic #expectations.

Can I be helped with liposuction alone?

Yes this is possible depending on the elasticity of you skin. For an example of how liposuction alone may parallel your desired result, look at case # 2370 in the link below - her percent body fat was probably greater than yours! She had extra fat in her abdomen and back. With liposuction alone, she looks much better and did not have to have a tummy tuck nor breast surgery. 

From your photos, it is hard to see if you need a breast lift. So a consultation would be the next step for you. 

Michael Kulick, MD, DDS

The recommended BMI is less than 30. This is the recommendation of the American society of plastic surgery. The reason simply, is increased chance of complications. These include but limited to, pulmonary embolus, deep venous thrombosis, delayed wound healing and increase infection rate.

there are different types of tummy tucks which one is right for me and how are they different from the other? There is a mini tummy tuck, tummy tuck and a vertical abdominoplasty. The appropriate procedure depends the amount and location of the excess skin. That's what your plastic surgeon will have to determine after the actual physical exam.

What are the basic tips to know if I need a breast augmentation or breast lift? It all depends on the position of the nipple on the breast. The further down the nipple is in relation to the fold the more the chances are the patient needs a lift.

Choose a board certified plastic surgeon who has done a ton of Mommy Makeover and has privileges to do this surgery at a local university hospital. This says his credentials have been checked out by fellow Drs. All surgeries carry risk, talk to your plastic surgeon and choose one wisely.

Many surgeons, including myself, offer online virtual consultations where you send us your photos and we can estimate the cost. I, like many surgeons, also offer free consultations so that you can be examined and given the most accurate quote possible. Please be mindful that the in person physical exam is the most important and could potentially alter your treatment plan.

Liposuction needed for my mommy make-over?

Thank you for asking about your mommy make-over.

• Based on your photos, you would appear to benefit from a tummy tuck.
  • Liposuction of the flanks is likely to be needed as well for a good result.
  • Liposuction alone seems likely to leave loose skin and no tightening of your abdomen.  

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Mommy makeover

Thank you for your photos and questions.  When considering elective surgery it is best to have a BMI below 30 and be as close to your ideal body weight as possible.  For your Mommy Makeover I would recommend that liposuction be done in conjunction with the tummy tuck and breast work in order to achieve the best results.  Loss of nipple sensation is a risk, but a fairly low one depending on the extent of the procedure.  Discuss your concerns with your plastic surgeon and together you can design a surgical plan that is best for you.

Camille Cash, MD