I was just wondering what kind of surgery would be best in order to reduce the size of my nose. (photos)

when smiling, my nose widens and looks almost chunky. would an alar base reduction stop this? is there another non-surgical or minimally invasive procedure to prevent this? what is the approximate cost of it? i also like the profile of my nose and would that change due to a procedure? thanks.

RHINOPLASTY CONCERNS

Dear zonagirl80909, I would suggest seeking a consultation with some experts in rhinoplasty surgery and discuss your current concerns. Once an examination is performed the surgeon can discuss your options and the techniques that may be used to refine your nose. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Nose widens when smiling

You definitely need to see a facial plastic surgeon for full examination of your nose. In general, the nose widens wit smiling to varying degrees depending on muscles, face shape etc. Rhinoplasty can help refine the nose and strengthen it. Botox if done carefully can weaken some of the muscle that pull on the nose. However, your nose will always widen when you smile despite these interventions. Again, see someone who does a lot of rhinoplasty for an opinion. hope that helps.

Jeffrey Jumaily, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty candidate

A full set of photographs are required to make a determination about a rhinoplasty procedure, since the nose is a three-dimensional structure. Also best to have  smiling, and non-smiling photographs. An alar base reduction allows a static reduction in the width of the nostrils. Releasing the muscle attachments to the side of the nose can help minimize the amount of width that occurs when smiling. For more information many examples and the cost of a rhinoplasty procedure, please see the link and the video below

Nose widening with smile

Thank you for asking. The movement of the nose reflects the softness of your lower cartilages. An alar base reduction may narrow that part somewhat but the animation narrowing would still occur. I would suggest being seen in person for a consultation and possibly consider Botox or Dysport to soften the muscles narrowing the nose. That may help with your concern. Surgically a cartilage graft may help but your nose tip may become thicker.  Talk with a board certified rhinoplasty surgeon. Best wishes!