What types of side effects for blepharoplasty? I consulted with a Dr that a friend (also a dr) recommended. Scheduled for Dec.

I have Droopy eye lids, or hooded eye lids. My dr said a blepharoplasty would work. Since I scheduled the surgery, I came across someone that had upper & lower done w/same doctor. She now has issues. Severe dry eyes, sclera showing below the iris, rounded corners of the eyes, can't close her eyes completely. Is this common with just lower lids? Or can this happen w/upper? From researching it seems that this is common with lower lids. Want to be sure before moving forward with this doctor.

Complications with blepharoplasty

Hi ApprehensiveUpperBleph,

Thanks for your question. Some photos would help with your assessment. It is possible to have complications withs any surgery but to have all the listed complications on the patient is unusual. Mild asymmetries can and do exist. I would make sure that you are comfortable with you plastic surgeon base on your feelings and judgement and not someone else's recommendations only. Recommendations help but your gut should tell you! Good Luck!

Carlos Mata MD, MBA, FACS

#Blepharoplasty #complications        

Thank you for asking. In general blepharoplasty cases are straightforward with little bruising and swelling. Dry eyes are possible but are usually identified beforehand and adjusted to compensate accordingly. Each patient is different.Lower lids are more sensitive to changes. Talk with your PS about your specific concerns. Best wishes!

What types of side effects for blepharoplasty?

The complications you mention used to be more worrisome but with the advent of current techniques of lower lid surgery with transconjunctival fat manipulation and skin pinch skin excision they have become a thing of the past. If your doctor is still having those problems you might want to think about getting another consult or two elsewhere. However, if you are only having upper lid surgery +/_ brow lift, the problems you mentioned aren't going to happen as they occur in the lower eyelid.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Different complications for uppers and lowers

In general, you're describing a problem associated with lower eyelids, and not upper eyelids.  The lack of complete closure of the eyelids can be associated with upper eyelids surgery, but is often temporary if experienced.  However, you have not posted any pictures.  Make sure you would not benefit from a brow lift, or possibly ptosis correction.  Its best to go over this with your surgeon.

Brian K. Machida, MD, FACS
Ontario Facial Plastic Surgeon

Upper blepharoplasty procedure for hooded eyelids

The primary goal of upper blepharoplasty procedure is to remove the excess skin that is creating the hooded look in addition to a small amount of fat creating the puffiness in the upper lids.  Properly performing an upper blepharoplasty procedure should not create any  dry eyes, scleral show or rounding of the corners of the eyes. Look for a surgeon who has extensive experience with the blepharoplasty procedure for best results.

Side Effects Blepharoplasty

Thank you for your question. An upper blepharoplasty will remove the excess skin "hooding" of the upper eyelid. There are risks with any surgical procedure, but for upper eyelids the risks are lower than when performing lower blepharoplasty. With upper eyelids, asymmetry and scaring are the main risks, but these are uncommon. The satisfaction rate with upper eyelids is extremely high. Lower eyelids is a different procedure with an additional set of risks. With lower eyelids the risks of scaring and asymmetry still exist, but as you stated, the risk of dry eyes and ectropion are small, but do happen with this procedure. The goal of upper or lower blepharoplasty is not to change the shape of the eye. You said your friend went to someone who closed out the lateral side of the eyelid, giving a round look. My suggestion would be to have another consultation from a board certified plastic surgeon who will show you before and after photos of their work as well as review the risks with you. If you have a friend who has had a poor result, I would suggest an additional consultation. If you do choose to go back to that surgeon, make sure they review all the risks with you and show you additional photos of their work. Good luck to you.

Please consider a second opinion to satisfy yourself that you have done your due diligence.

Please down load and carefully read my ebook on eyelid surgery.  It spends a great deal of time discussing potential complications with eyelid surgery to help you understand what can go wrong and why.  You need to listen to your intuition to minimize regret about your scheduled surgery.