What type of rhinoplasty procedure would be best for me (bulbous tip)?

I like my side profile, but looking at me straight on, my bulbous tip is very noticeable, especially in pictures. I'm always tossing the idea around to have rhinoplasty because I don't like the look of my nose. My nose is also wide and have noticed my nostrils are different in size from each other. My only concern about rhinoplasty is I may look completely different after the procedure; what I'd like is for the shape of my nose to suit my face.

Dear Arlene,
You would make an excellent candidate for Rhinoplasty to refine and feminize your nose to create a beautiful profile and a slimmer frontal  appearance when you smile and in photos.  I would recommend a full open rhinoplasty with tip-plasty to narrow the tip of your nose.  A conservative approach would be best for you since you are concerned with changing your appearance.  Please visit our web site to see before and after photos.  

Dr. Shumway is Board Certified in Facial Plastic and Reconstructive surgery and is also the 2016 President of the American Academy of Cosmetic Surgery!  We have done hundreds of thousands of Rhinoplasty over the past 30 years!

Best of Luck!

San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Tip narrowing rhinoplasty

Hi Arlene.
Your exam will really dictate what is most appropriate.  When it comes to tip definition, skin thickness is really the key!

However, most of the nasal refinements occur with alterations in the cartilage and soft tissue of the nose.
If you have particularly thick skin or any assymetry, your surgeon will likely recommend an external approach that allows a more aggressive and impressive result.
Nostrils can be narrowed to produce a more narrow nostril only, or be extended to actually narrow the base of the nose at the attachment of the face.

Based on your photos, I suspect you would need a more aggressive approach to achieve a significant result.

Get at least 2 or 3 opinions to find the best surgeon for you!

Dr. Hobgood

Todd Christopher Hobgood, MD
Phoenix Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hi Arlene.  Rhinoplasty (nose reshaping surgery) to address a wide nose is a common request. Most likely, an “open rhinoplasty” (where the soft tissues are gently elevated to allow direct access to the tip cartilages) will be required. These tip cartilages are then sculpted and sutured to refine the nasal tip. Osteotomies are required to reposition a wide nose closer to the midline.

If you like, please follow the link below. The article on Nasal Analysis contains many diagrams that you may find helpful. This may help guide your conversation with your surgeon.

Hope this is helpful. Best wishes.

Anand G. Shah, MD
San Antonio Facial Plastic Surgeon

Thanks for your question. Reduction of the bulbous tip can be achieved through suturing techniques. In-person examination by a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon is necessary to determine which methods would give your nose a more subtle, fitting appearance on your face. You will not look completely different after rhinoplasty... the changes are subtle but make a big difference. 

All the best!

Dr. Results
Miami, FL

Bulbous tip

I would be less enthusiastic about the results of a rhinoplasty on this thick skinned, wide tip. Improvement, yes but not much else.

Dennis Barek, MD
Great Neck Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty for wide nose, bulbous tip etc.

Rhinoplasty for wide nose, bulbous tip etc.You can have more attractive and feminine nose if you see an experienced surgeon  who does noses like yours lthat u like. Do not rely on imaging but the actual results of the surgeon. 

Great Rhinoplasty Candidate

You are an excellent candidate for rhinoplasty.  I offer computer imaging so that you can see what you will look like after the surgery.  Make sure to choose a true rhinoplasty expert, and seek multiple consultations.

All the Best,

Dr. Brian Reagan

Rhinoplasty results

I certainly think the appearance of your nasal tip could be improved with rhinoplasty. The importance of physical exam and discussion of expectations prior to surgery is extremely important. My consultations involve the use of photographs and digital imaging software to demonstrate expected changes in the shape of the nose. I have found this to be very useful in rhinoplasty preparation. I hope this answer is helpful.

I certainly think the appearance of your nasal tip could be an

Jerold Olson, MD
Tucson Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty for a bulbous tip reduction

To reducible  a bulbous tip requires a rhinoplasty procedure through either an open or closed approach.  The bulbous tip is created from wide and divergent lower lateral cartilages of the nasal tip. To reduce the bulbous tip requires suture techniques and a conservative cartilage removal to refine it. The bridge of the nose can be narrowed with osteotomies, if needed. For many examples and more information about bulbous tip  reduction, please see the video below

Yes, you can have a rhinoplasty to address the bulbous tip, as well as, the width of the nose.  A good rhinoplasty will appear very subtle and fit naturally with your facial features.