TT /Lipo/BBL

I have been reading that when these 3 procedures are combined the surgeon cannot do a good amount of liposuction to the upper abdomen as it would compromise the blood supply to the TT area/wound healing . So, doesn't make more sense to stage the procedures ? Thank you !

Intelligent question

So you have very wisely questioned what the best thing to do is. My personal opinion is not to liposuck the abdomen while doing a full abdomenoplasty. Wound breakdown is a terrible complication of abdo plasty, and sadly one we have all seen. Anything that increases the chance is a no no for me and that includes liposuction simultaneously. Staged after (or even before) is definitely best for me.Hope that helps.Adam Goodwin

Tummy Tuck - BBL and Tummy Tuck?

Thank you for your question. I do not think it is a good idea to have a tummy tuck and BBL at the same time. I believe you will have better results if you stage the procedures. First do liposuction to harvest fat from the hips, flanks, thighs, and abdomen. This fat can be used for the BBL. Once you have recovered from Stage 1, a tummy tuck can be performed. Please see a board certified plastic surgeon who commonly performs these procedures. Ask to see a lot of before and after pictures of their work. Hope this helps and good luck. 

Staging a procedure

Thank you for the question. Generally speaking you have liposuction of the upper and lower abdomen during a tummy tuck. The risks of wound complications can happen with or without liposuction of the upper  abdomen. I suggest you talk to your plastic surgeon and he/she will give you the best advise based on your medical history, examination and your desired look.

Moneer Jaibaji, MD

Combo procedure

Great question!  You are correct in that liposuction should be limited or not even performed to the upper abdominal region right above the tummy tuck area as this could compromise the blood supply to the abdominal tissues for healing.  However, the surgeon can be extremely aggressive to the lower abdominal region that will be excised with the tummy tuck anyways.  Since this area of tissue is going to be removed, your surgeon can take out all the fat in this area.  So the amount of harvest fat should be about the same from combining or separating.  If your upper abdominal contour is not as nice or flat as you would like, the liposuction to this upper area could also be performed at a later time.  This combination of procedures can be performed safety and is a combination I frequently perform. Best of luck and hope this information helps!- Dr. Roger Tsai 

Roger Tsai, MD
Beverly Hills Physician

Abdominoplasty, Liposuction and BBL

Thank you for your great question. You are correct that when performing an abdominoplasty we need to be mindful of the blood supply to the skin. Many times we do not perform liposuction of the upper abdominal for this reason. At times, people will return after the abdominoplasty if they still need lipo in that area. Doing all of these procedures together will depend on the amount of fat you have and the time in the operating room. They can safely be performed at the same time which should save a recovery and money. If you are doing the BBL and lipo at a later time, you still should not have much fat in your abdomen to harvest after an abdominoplasty. This is a great question and really one for you to discuss with your surgeon based on you and your body.

TT /Lipo/BBL

Great question. So it really depends on how much liposuction you need. If you are having a tummy tuck you should not need that much liposuction of the actual abdomen. If you do then likely the answer is to try to lose more abdominal fat before surgery. There certainly is a limit to how much abdominal liposuction you can do with a tummy tuck do to blood supply. So to be clear, I do not feel separating the two is the answer. If you require that much liposuction with a tummy tuck you likely need to lose more abdominal fat. Then they are safe to do together. The point of the tummy tuck is to remove all the lose extra skin you have not so much to remove fat. I feel a very meticulous exam needs to be done in order to determine if you would benefit from more weight loss or if liposuction is safe to the degree that would help your surgery. This is a very general answer without having seen you. I hope this helps answer your question.Sincerely,DrRickAZ 

Richard J. Brown, MD

Combining upper abdominal lipo with a tummy tuck

thank you for a terrific question and presenting it to the panel.  I think the level of physician tolerance with regards to harmful risks and complications to the patient play significant role in a surgeons decision whether to use an upper abdominal liposuction with a full extended tummy tuck procedure.  Some studies have shown no effect with incorporating the upper abdominal Lipo with a tummy tuck. Those studies, however, were not clear on how much dissection of the abdominal flap were performed. For those surgeons, however, that incorporate a significant amount of abdominal contouring, dissection, and mobilization of the abdominal area (includes skin flaps and muscle/fascial area) to create a natural look rather than the artificial, unnatural abdominal appearance, interruption of the microvasculature with the lipo can be harmful. One must consider with elevating more of the abdominal tissue, the deeper fat can be judiciously excised in a natural, contoured approach that provides a thinner layer and a natural result. With excising the deep fat of the upper abdomen under direct visualization, more control of the level of excision is achieved, thus significantly minimizing deleterious effects. Stay informed and see several experienced plastic surgeons certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery in your journey.

Sean T. Lille, MD

Abdomen lipo with tummy tuck and BBL

Thanks so much for your question for this is an important issue. Some surgeries are much more reliable when separated, some can easily be combined. In my opinion, and in my practice we do a moderate degree of liposuction of most patients flanks, upper abdomen, and mons pubis area in concert with a tummy tuck. That being said, I can always be more aggressive with the liposuction if it is not at the same time as the tummy tuck. The more important issue for you relates to doing fat injections to the buttock area at the same time as the tummy tuck. Far and away I believe it is best to do the body liposuction and fat grafting as a separate procedure several months prior to the tummy tuck, and do the tummy tuck as a secondary procedure. Not only can you be more aggressive in getting the extra fat to place back in the buttocks, it is far easier for the fat injections to survive if you can reliably stay on your tummy and not lay on your sides or back for several weeks recovering from the BBL so you maximize your results with fat survival. Hopefully that helps guide your decisions going forward, good luck.

Jeffrey Nelson, MD
Tucson Plastic Surgeon

Can a surgeon be as aggressive with liposuction during a tummy tuck?

Thanks so much for your question.  You are correct that when performing a tummy tuck surgery you need to be mindful of skin vascularity.  You can perform liposuctiin during the surgery but you cannot be as aggressive with the liposuction as you could be if you were not performing the tummy tuck. However, a tummy tuck and moderate liposuction will yield a better result than liposuction alone in most cases.  Hope that helps. Good luck. 

Shaun Parson, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck and Liposuction.

Hello and thank you for using RealSelf.com.I do perform some liposuction to the upper tummy area during a tummy tuck.  But not all surgeons are comfortable with this approach.  They are concerned about hurting the blood supply to the lower tummy skin that could cause problems.  In 30 years, I have not had any lower tummy healing issues when I liposuction the upper tummy.  That being said, I am not aggressive on that area like I would be on flanks or thighs.  If a woman has significant excess fat, they may end up having another liposuction procedure to that area six months or greater after the tummy tuck.  That is typically a minor procedure sometimes performed in the office.This issue is really all about how comfortable a surgeon is with this technique.Good luck to you.Dr Spies

Robert J. Spies, MD
Paradise Valley Plastic Surgeon