Saline breast implants; left one deflated. Any suggestions?

Hello again, I had a breast augmentation 11 years ago, In June 2015 my left implant deflated, my question is, Is it bad for my health that I've waited a few months to get them replaced? I'm not in any pain, the only thing that bothers me is the way I look,it makes me feel very self conscious. Please let me know if I'm gonna have problems because I waited so long? Thank you very much, Anette

Saline implants Deflating

I would not worry about having waited. Saline implants filled with simple salt water, no different than the IV fluid which is given to you during hospital stay. The shell of the implant has not changed other than whatever small defect allowing the saline to leak. So, do not worry, no harm has been caused. I would visit with your plastic surgeon to discuss your options at this point.
Dr. Subbio
Board-Certified Plastic Surgeon
Newtown Square/Philadelphia, PA

Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Ruptured saline implant

Thank you for your post. No, this situation will not harm your health in the least. The longer you wait, potentially the more work that would need to be done (up to a point) when your surgeon replaces the implant. The pocket around the implant will continue to decrease in size, and so more dissection is required to re-open the pocket for a new implant. Best wishes.

Paul J. Leahy, MD
Leawood Plastic Surgeon

Saline Implant Leak

Hello and thank you for reaching out. When a saline implant deflates, there is no actual harm imposed to your body. The saline is absorbed by your body, and the only issue is the asymmetric appearance of the implants. I would consult a board certified plastic surgeon and discuss removal and/or exchange sooner rather than later, but your health is not in danger due to the time frame. Best Wishes. 

Saline breast implants deflation

Saline implants are only inflated with saline--or sterile salt and water.  In the event of leak, they do not pose serious health problems because the filler material is a substance that is naturally found in the body. 

I hope that helps and good luck. 

Saline breast implants; left one deflated.

There is no harm other than altering your appearance in leaving the deflated implant in place.  Typically the saline implants are warrantied against this problem for life so you should consult with a plastic surgeon to discuss having one or both replaced.  Best of luck.

Ralph R. Garramone, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Saline implant deflated

Hello 

Thank you for your question. There is no health implication's on not fixing the implant right away. That is the benefit to having saline implants. That's why we love it:)

Best regards

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Broken saline implant

From a safety point of view there is no harm, this intravenous fluid is simply absorbed by your body. What I have seen, is sometimes as the implant loses fluid it can become almost like a spear with a sharp point in one direction that ends up sticking the patient from the inside and causing pain. If this is not happened to you by now, it most likely will not. By waiting longer than just a few weeks, it's probably gonna take more effort and more surgery to remake the pocket to make it match the unbroken one. With saline implants that are over 10 years old, I would recommend replacing both of them with gel. Good luck.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Deflation

Thank you for your question.  You are not in any danger by waiting to see a surgeon to have them replaced.  You shouldn't have any long term problems from waiting either.  When you're ready, go meet with a surgeon to get your implants replaced.  (If you purchased an extended warranty when your implants were placed 11 years ago you may have some coverage for your replacement. Check with your implant company)
Best Wishes!

Jamie Moenster, DO
Tucson Plastic Surgeon

Deflated breast implant

Exchanging one or two deflated saline breast implants is an extremely easy procedure for both the surgeon and the patient, with minimum down time and no new incisions.  Here, at our office, we refer to it as a tire change because it is so simple.
However, if the patient waits, the space around the implant shrinks causing the need to enlarge the pocket at the time of surgery. 

Saline implant deflation

Saline implants can deflate and often the skin and breast tissue that was on top of it has stretched out over time and no longer has the volume of the implant to hold out the shape of the breast. You're breasts may look different because of all the changes that have occured over the years to your breasts. A board certified plastic surgeon can examine you and discuss your surgical options. Often this could include removal of the implant and a "mastopexy" or a breast lift. Some patients like the size of their breasts and will switch out their implants to new ones. Best of luck, MMT