Is it safe to do all of these procedures in one?

I'm doing vertical mastopexy, abdominoplasty standard, subpectoral augmentation mammaplasty bilateral-silicone suction assisted lipectomy flanks, suction assisted lipectomy epigastric, suction assisted lipectomy back, and fat transfer to buttocks.

Multiple Procedures at One Operation?

It is certainly possible, even often preferable, to do more than one procedure during a single operation, but there are reasonable limits beyond which is neither safe for you nor good for your outcome. There are a lot of procedures on your list and unless there is more than one person doing the surgery I cannot see how all of this could be reasonably accomplished in a single operation.

There are also several other considerations. After doing multiple procedures your surgeon will become fatigued and their performance will decline. This is when errors occur. Also when this many procedures are being done at once the surgeon may rush through each procedure in order to complete all of them within a certain time frame. This leads to cutting corners and substandard results. Finally, many surgeons will avoid doing an abdominoplasty at the same time that they are doing fat transfer to the buttocks. This is because following an abdominoplasty patients will need to recover in a semiflexed position while resting on their backside. This will place excessive pressure on the buttocks and can lead to loss or failure of the grafted fat. It doesn't make sense to spend time, money, and energy on a procedure and then recover in a way that compromises the result.

Hello, Dear

The first thing to consider and most importantly before any individual or combined intervention is the state of health of the patient and is necessary to evaluate individually and with the necessary examinations to manage complications and generate a state postoperative less painful and rapid healing.

In addition, it should take into account the physical and psychological conditions of the patient, as much of this will depend recovery.

If you want to perform various cosmetic procedures, the ideal is to assist cosmetic surgery clinics serious, professional and guaranteed, request an appointment valuation and professional plastic surgeon evaluate the types of interventions you want as your physical condition and health, to see whether or not feasible to perform at the same time.

Best regards!

Ramon Morales, MD

Multiple procedures at once

Thanks for your question.  The answer will really vary between patients.   Healthy patients can tolerate longer procedures than those with some medical issues.  Thinner patients with loose skin are usually quicker than bigger patients with alot of fat.  In my practice, I will usually allow patients to go have an outpatient procedure as long as they are healthy and the surgery is less than 5-6 hours.  Anything longer than that usually requires an overnight stay.  Longer surgery indicates more blood loss and higher risk of blood clots (DVT).  Best to discuss with your plastic surgeon.  Good luck. 

Combined procedures

It seems like a lot of surgery for one day, which puts you at greater risk for a complication such as a DVT (blood clot). Discuss this in more detail with your surgeon and consider doing two separate stages.

Dr.Bruno

William Bruno, MD

If you are healthy and the surgeon is an expert at all procedures and can hold anesthesia time to under 6 hours, then YES.

Multiple procedures

The short answer is yes.  You must be healthy enough to handle anesthesia and recovery but lots of times it it preferred to bundle the procedures and recovery.  

Best Wishes!

Jamie Moenster, DO
Tucson Plastic Surgeon

Dr. Derby Sang

thank you for your question.

it is possible to do them all at once, but for your own safety it is better to separate each procedure in phases, for your comfort and the doctors comfort. also have in mind that if you do all procedures at once your recovery will be longer.

best of luck 

Derby Sang Caputo, MD

How many plastic surgery procedures can I do safely?

Hi Esglendi,

Thank you for your question. It certainly is possible to do all the above-mentioned procedures. I think safety is based on how efficient and safe your surgeon performs the procedures. I routinely do the above-mentioned procedures which is nothing more than a full torso liposuction with a BBL, TT and breast lift with implants. Most of the time a Brazilian butt lift with full torso liposuction takes about two hours, a tummy tuck takes about an hour and half to two hours. The breast lift with augmentation can be an hour and half to three hours depending on the complexity of it. This should all be done in about six hours which is my safe limit for combine procedures. Anything more is usually split up into two surgical days. I would ask your plastic surgeon if he has help or how long he expects these procedures to last if it's more than six hours I would reconsider. Obviously the longer the surgery the higher the risk of having complications. Discuss your concerns with your board-certified plastic surgeon. Good luck.

Carlos Mata M.D., MBA, FACS

Board certified plastic surgeon

#mommymakeover

2 Procedures

Thank you for your question. I do not recommend undergoing all these procedures at one time. If you want best results for a BBL and a Tummy Tuck/breast aug, you should do them separately for optimal healing. I would recommend the tummy tuck/mastopexy/aug procedure first so you can rest and recover on your back, then undergo the liposuction/BBL procedure so you can rest on your stomach and not jeopardize the fat transfer. Make sure you're working with a board certified plastic surgeon with expertise in all these areas. 

Kevin Tehrani, MD, FACS

Generally speaking, combination surgical procedures are done routinely.  However, you are wise in being concerned about the safety of combination surgery; risks/possible complications do increase with increased length of surgery…  

It is best to evaluate each patient's suitability for combination surgery on an individualized basis. During this consultation process, after a complete history and physical, the SAFETY  of combining these surgical procedures becomes of paramount importance.  Plastic surgeon, anesthesia provider, duration of surgery, surgery facility all important  considerations. 

Your best bet: choose your plastic surgeon very carefully; everything else including  good judgment/advice/planning, anesthesia provider and safe surgery facility will follow. Best wishes.