Any suggestions for Rhinoplasty?

I have a hump on my nose and also the cartilage that's in between both nostrils is dramatically bent to the left (almost like a fish hook shape) but it is not noticeable from the outside. Because of this I feel like I can breath better with my left nostril and no so good through my right nostril and it kinda bothers me. Can this problem be fixed and be covered by insurance/access or whatever it is called? I also don't like the shape of my nose and would like rhinoplasty for a better shape!

Rhinoplasty can improve your breathing

Thank you for the question! In addition to reshaping the bridge and nasal tip, rhinoplasty can also correct the cartilage, thereby improving your breathing and producing a dramatic effect on appearance. Insofar as it is related to your breathing issues, a portion of the procedure can be covered by your health insurance company. As always, an in-person exam with a board-certified plastic surgeon would be the best way to assess your needs and obtain reliable medical advice. Best of luck! Dr. Michael Omidi.

Septoplasty for functional breathing, rhinoplasty to make cosmetic changes in the nose

A septoplasty  is performed when there is a deviated septum in the back of the nose which is blocking air flow, and is performed for medical necessity. A septoplasty will not change the shape of the nose. A rhinoplasty is considered cosmetic and must be paid for by the patient. A rhinoplasty accomplishes making any visual alterations to the external portion of the nose to improve the look. For more information about the differences between the 2 procedures and many examples of  cosmetic rhinoplasty, please see the link and the video below

Rhinoplasty to fix a hump and breathing problems

Dear iochoa809,
  • A rhinoplasty can help make your nose look better
  • A portion of the procedure can be covered under insurance if you have significant breathing problems and narrowing inside your nose
  • The cosmetic portion is not covered though
  • When you are ready, please visit a rhinoplasty specialist who can examine you and address all of your concerns
Best,Dr. Nima

Nima Shemirani, MD

Rhinoplasty and breathing

Breathing issues are often covered by your health insurance company. Each company and plan is different, so I recommend checking before proceeding with surgery. You may need to call your health insurance company yourself to confirm your coverage and benefits. 
Changing the shape of the nose (humps, tips, nostrils) to improve appearance is not covered by insurance. 
Both can be achieved in one surgery. Your surgeon's office will quote you a cosmetic fee and their office will also submit a claim to your insurance company. 

Victor Chung, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty

Sometimes insurance plans will cover procedures that are designed to improve breathing. This does not include procedures that are done to improve the appearance. Only after a good exam will a  good surgeon will be able to explain the steps that are needed to do both. Good luck.

Rhinoplasty Goals

A rhinoplasty specialist will be able to comprehensively address the issues you have with your nose, both cosmetic and functional. While there are a variety of approaches and techniques employed by various surgeons, it is up to you to do your due diligence to find a rhinoplasty specialist in order to achieve the best results possible. Using autologous grafts (tissue and cartilage from your own body) will provide the safest and most permanent results. Looking at computer-morphed images with your surgeon during consultation will give you a good idea of what is possible, and also give you a great chance to convey to your surgeon what you envision.

Donald B. Yoo, MD

Rhinoplasty and Septoplasty

are often two separate procedures - the first (rhinoplasty) is more cosmetic to improve the appearance of your external nose, and the second (septoplasty) is usually to address the septum, the cartilage/bone that separates your nostrils and gives height to your nose as well as allows you to breathe. However, several other reasons can lead to breathing difficulties such as large turbinates, chronic mucosal inflammation (sinusitis), etc. Oftentimes, the cosmetic and breathing issues are combined in one procedure because there is overlap... some things that improve your appearance also improve your ability to breathe! The best way to determine what you need is to see a specialist (board certified Plastic Surgeon or ENT) who can examine your nose and face and determine your needs. 

Dan Mills, MD