Odd swelling something gone wrong after upper & lower eyelids surgery & invasive facelift surgery? (photos)

I am 51 years old, and I had upper & lower eyelids surgery and invasive-mid facelift surgery 3 weeks ago. Most of the swelling go away, except it show as if there are soft pad insert each side under neat my cheeks. I also has one hole on below my left cheek, and on right side there is a string shap 1/2" wide pulling from my ear to corner mouth. Please let me know this is normal swelling, if not, can these problems be fixed. Thank you so much.

Facial swelling after mid facelift and blepharoplasty

Hi Novi,

Thanks for your question and photos. It is really early to tell exactly how things will turn out. A mid face lift usually means that the entire face was lifted from the bone up but some surgeons don't do it that way thus the skin may look differently. The only person that knows what was done is your surgeon. Please seek their advice. Regardless of what it looks like now, the issues can be corrected in the future. Please be patient and discuss your concerns with your plastic surgeon! I recommend lymphatic massage in the mean time. Good Luck!

Carlos Mata MD, MBA, FACS
@blepharoplasty @facelift
facebook @breastdoctor
twitter @docmata
instagram #drcarlosmata

I agree with you completely that you have an issue.

However, 3 weeks is so early after your facial procedures that it is hard to know that this will persist or not.  The time frame for judgement is really 3 to 4 months.  If these issue to not resolve by then, there are options for improving a post surgery groove in the face.  This might be a tension line or it might be s groove in the cheek fat from liposuction.  If these types of issue persist, then can be corrected with revisional procedures. Again it is too early to know if this will be necessary.

Thank you for your question. You are in the early stages of your recovery process. It is not surprising to hear that most of the swelling has subsided after three weeks - most of the swelling and bruising occurs at two weeks after surgery. I suggest that you discuss these recovery questions with your board certified facial plastic surgeon in your next appointment.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Give it time

I have seen this type of swelling resolve completely  with time. In these  cases,  it resulted from   a slight inflammation of tissue related to the placement of a drain or placement of a lifting suture  under the skin.  Unless there are other issues, I would wait things out for at least 9  months before considering doing anything. If any degree of the indentation persists, options such as fat grafting  can permanently correct the asymmetry.

Best regards, Prashant Soni,M.D.

Prashant Soni, MD
Danbury Plastic Surgeon

I noticed that you posted the same pictures and questions yesterday. I don't think anything will change in a day. First you need to give it more time. Often problems will lessen or resolve given enough time. If a revision still needs to be done at 6 months, often less will need to be done after enough time. It's best to see the original surgeon because he knows what was done in the original surgery.

Brian K. Machida, MD, FACS
Ontario Facial Plastic Surgeon