Incision sore. Should I be concerned or is there something more I can do to to ward off infection and to promote healing?

Eight days ago I had my 24 year old saline implants removed. My incisions are along the bottom of my nipples. Though I keep gauze pads on underneath my sports bra, there is an annoying rubbing with every movement I make and that seems to be irritating the incision. This evening I noticed that there was a small amount of blood coming from the one incision and the breast is sorer than the other. Should I be concerned or is there something more I can do to to ward off infection and to promote healing?

Post operative pain after breast implants removal

Thanks for posting your question. I am happy to try and help you. It is important to remember that a board certified plastic surgeon will be your best resource when it comes to an accurate assessment of your situation, and concerns.

Having said that, you should go see your plastic surgeon. Online consultants are not the appropriate source of information for you; your plastic surgeon should be your resource when it comes to postoperative care.

Dr. Michael J. Brown
Northern Virginia Plastic Surgeon

Stop wearing the bra if it is hurting you

If the bra is hurting, stop wearing it.  Antibiotics are not the answer here.  You are so early after your surgery that you should be minimizing your physical activity.

Sore incision

I would recommend calling your surgeon for an examination.  It may just be that you need to switch to a different support bra, but it's better to be safe than sorry.  Your surgeon may suggest some home care to help prevent infection or put you on a course of antibiotics as a precaution.

Camille Cash, MD

Breast implant removal

With pain in the incision area and some discharge, it is advisable to see your surgeon to make sure your are healing well and no infection

You need to be seen by your PS

Your PS will need to look at the incision to see what is going on. You should call them because this is something that can not be diagnosed with certainty without examining the site.