I had breast reduction 11 days ago. When will the stitches on the bottom go away?

Healing and Recovery After Your Gynecomastia Procedure

Your #incisions will go through a maturation process after #Gynecomastia #surgery. For the first few months they will be red and possibly raised and/or firm. As the scar matures, after 6-12 months, it becomes soft, pale, flat, and much less noticeable. You may experience numbness, tingling, burning, “crawling”, or other peculiar sensations around the surgical area. This is a result of the healing of tiny fibers which are trapped in the incision site. These symptoms will disappear. Some people are prone to keloids, which is an abnormal scar that becomes prominent. If you or a blood relative has a tendency to keloid formation, please inform the doctor.

Bruising and #swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely.  Also, #asymmetry during the healing process is not at all uncommon after any breast surgery due to the nature of each breast to heal differently from each other.

As you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin. If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff.

Sutures

The answer depends on the type of suture material used.  You will need to discuss this with your surgeon.

Jeffrey D. Wagner, MD

Sutures

Thank you for your question and please see your surgeon as your sutures should have been removed by now

Dr Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

Thank you for your question.  Unfortunately without a set of photographs or knowledge of the type of suture material used, it is impossible to know how long the stitches will last along the bottom.  Speak to your surgeon about your concerns, they will be able to provide you with an exact timetable.

Stitches on the bottom of my areola

the stitches on the bottom of my areola will go away in 10 days if they are the fast absorbing suture that I use. Please see results below

Arian Mowlavi, MD