I am 11 days out after a breast augmentation and I'm experiencing a sharp pain in my right breast. (Photo)

Especially as I take a deep breath or reposition. This began after seeing my doctor and he suggested a type of breast massage to get the higher breast to drop. Not sure if I applied too much pressure or perhaps this is just a new stage to my early recovery. There does not appear to be any additional swelling, bruising or discharge from my incision. I was a 32A and received 350cc moderate plus silicone under the muscle. Is this normal and what are some solutions to easing this pain.

I am 11 days out after a breast augmentation and I'm experiencing a sharp pain in my right breast.

Thank you for your question and photo, The pain is normal as it is still early and as you are healing  will get better and after 3 week it should be fine.

Post op recovery

you for the question. You are still early in
the post operation recovery stage. It is
not uncommon to feel pain during this
period. It usually takes about 8-12
weeks for the wounds to heal and around 4-6 months for the implants to fully
settle.  Regarding this issue since you think your pain is related to you massage, it would always be best to visit
your board-certified plastic surgeon and get a full assessment for your
concerns. Best of luck. Dr. Michael
Omidi. An
in-person exam with a board-certified plastic surgeon is the best way to assess
your needs and provide true medical advice.

Michael M. Omidi, MD, FACS

Speak with your surgeon

Yes, it is totally normal to still be experiencing pain at this point in your recovery, but the fact that yours has increased is something that you should share with your surgeon. Always best to err on the side of caution -- Dr. Nazarian

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Breast pain

Thank you for your question and photo. The pain you are experiencing could be within normal limits after surgery, however because you have noted new/increased pain, it would be wise to share this with your Plastic Surgeon and have them rule out anything problematic.

Take care

Thank you for your question and photo.  It is not uncommon to experience sharp pains after surgery.  Anytime there is something new (like pain) or concerning.  I recommend you call and discuss with your surgeon.  
There are many ways to help with pain including medication, heat or ice, compression or support bras or massage.  I would clear any of these methods with your surgeon first before starting them.  Good Luck and Congrats on your surgery!

Jamie Moenster, DO
Tucson Plastic Surgeon

Breasts do not heal

the same on both sides even if the same procedure was done.  Its normal as long as your breast size is not changing, you are not appreciating any changes in your skin, and the pains are not debilitating or affecting your ability to breath normally.  As nerves heal, they can get more painful but should start subsiding quickly.  You should also feel like you can contact your surgeon ANYTIME about anything should concerns arise as you heal. 

Curtis Wong, MD

Pain On Taking A Deep Breath After Breast Augmentation - Is This Normal?

Pain on taking a deep breath or after repositioning usually indicates soft tissue injury of muscle or cartilage.

When going under the muscle and cutting that muscle off the 5th rib, there is always injury to the pectoralis muscle, and at times, injury to the covering of the 5th rib or even the intercostal muscles which are the muscles between the ribs. 

The pain from these injuries subsides over time and is natural and of no great consequence.  The fact that the pain began after a different type of breast massaging could indicate that the implant is now pushing on a different area causing pain on inspiration. 

All that being said, one always must consider a pneumothorax (some air escaping from the lung leading to a partial or complete collapse).  I say this not to frighten you, but to encourage you to call your personal plastic surgeon and allow him or her to determine the level of concern that is appropriate for your pain.