Doctor chose significantly smaller implant size for right breast with a difference of 50cc. What do I do?

Trust me - I can honestly feel & see the difference!! I'd have to pay for a revision at my expense for his decision??!

Communicate your concerns with your plastic surgeon…

I am sorry to hear about your concerns after breast augmentation surgery. Obviously, online consultants will not be of much help to you when it comes to specific assessment (without photographs). Some general thoughts may be helpful to you.

You are correct in that no plastic surgeon is perfect and that poor decisions can be made.  Any surgeon who tells you that he/she has  not made poor decisions or has not had complications is either lying, delusional or has performed very little surgery.   In other words, despite best efforts,  unsatisfactory outcomes or complications can arise, without anyone being at fault.  

In cases where an unfavorable outcomes are present it is best for patients to discuss their concerns in a calm/constructive fashion; most plastic surgeons very much want their patients to be pleased and will do everything they can to improve outcomes.  On the other hand, an accusatory stance taken by a patient does not end up working out well for anybody involved.  For example, I would suggest avoiding using inflammatory term such as "botched"... Overall, staying emotionally even keel tends to be helpful in these cases.

When it comes to revisionary surgery costs, policies will vary: charges such as facility and/or anesthesia fees are quite customary in most practices.  Often, surgeons will reduce or waive fees.  I can tell you personally that I am much more likely to waive fees for patients who demonstrate an understanding of the circumstances as opposed to patients who expect "perfection" and approach the complication in an accusatory or faultfinding fashion.

Again,  communicate your concerns in a calm/constructive fashion. Working together you will likely come up with a plan to achieve an outcome that you will be happier with. Best wishes for an outcome that you are pleased with long-term.

50 Cc size difference

I would recommend you speak directly with your surgeon.  He or she may have discussed the size difference prior to surgery or not, review your preop photos and see if there is a noticeable difference prior to surgery in the breast sizes..  I always tell my patients that the breast are sisters, not twins and even after surgery they will not be twins.

Best Wishes!

Jamie Moenster, DO
Tucson Plastic Surgeon

Post op asymmetry

Thank you for your question. Without  pre and post operative photos it is difficult to assist you. You should go back to your plastic surgeon and discuss your concerns and your expectation. Most women have some degree of asymmetry before breast augmentation and may have some after as well. Your surgeon most likely tried to adjust for the pre-op asymmetry or thought you had so little assymmetry using the same size implants was the right decision.  Without photos or knowing what sizes your surgeon used, the best advise I have is to have an honest conversation with your surgeon while reviewing your before and after photos. Good luck.

Thank you for your question.  Please see your plastic surgeon and tell your surgeon your concerns. You can also ask for a copy of your operative note which should list the size of implants used.   In addition you should have been given a card describing the implants which were used.