Concerned about nipple sensation post surgery and about nipples looking as uniform as they do currently?

Post consultation with surgeon and second opinion coming up. After consult and reading doctors' responses here I know I will need a lift with implants. I know I will get a better result with a lift, but am very nervous about the incisions around the nipples. Currently, my nipples are uniform and (in my opinion) perfectly placed and even. Worried that they will not be as uniform after being reattached. Also wondering about loss of sensation afterwards. Is it common to lose nipple sensation following lift?

Changes in Nipples Sensation After Surgery

#Breastlift and #implants, any breast operation, can result in changes in sensation of the nipples and around other areas where the procedure took place. Larger implants and more aggressive lift methods may have more of a problem.

Healing after #breastimplant surgery will go on for 2-3 months for the early period. There may be some swelling, bruising, malposition, color differences. Sensation will be abnormal. Scars will be changing.

If my patients have concerns that something is unusual about their healing process, it is important for them to call the office and discuss these concerns or come in to be examined. If you still feel concerned about the sensation in your nipples, it would be best to visit your surgeon for another follow-up. Good luck.

Incisions and sensations following breast lift

Thank you for your question. It is common for patients to have concerns about nipple incisions. As long as the areolas and nipples are currently symmetric, we do not foresee any issue after reattachment with the final result. If there is asymmetry of the nipple or areola, we are able to correct this to achieve a uniform and desired result. With current surgical techniques, we do not see a permanent loss of nipple sensation with breast lift surgery. Numbness can be common post surgery but we do expect those nerves to wake up during the recovery process.

Brett E. Stompro, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Concerned about nipple sensation

Hello, you mentioned that your nipples are already uniform, perfectly placed, and even.  If you are already happy with their position it is unclear to me why you are seeking breast lift surgery rather than implants alone.

Nipple concerns after breast lift

Thanks for your question. There are different types of lifts that can be performed based on your degree of sag. It's rare for patients to lose nipple sensation (permanently) after breast lift procedure because not all of the nerves are cut. 

Your nipple shape and size can be made uniform and even after a lift. Do your homework when choosing your surgeon. Pick an experienced Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Good luck. 

Mehdi K. Mazaheri, MD

The nipples are not removed from the breast.  In general, the majority of my patients regain nipple sensation.  Consult with a board certified plastic surgeon who is highly experienced for an in person evaluation to discuss your options and expectations.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Worried about nipple sensation and shape after lift

Thank you for asking about your breast lift.

• Any breast surgery can permanently affect nipple sensation but it is uncommon to permanently lose nipple sensation although to some extent it depends on the type of lift.
  • Your nipples should not be removed from your breasts but surgery will need to cut around them to shift them upwards.
  • If they are not perfectly symmetrical and uniform, your surgeon can do her/his best to recreate that look but it may not be possible depending on how you heal and the details of surgery.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS