Brow lift or upper bleph? (Photo)

Saw the surgeon today for a facelift consult. He recommended a brow lift but said I'd have to wear bangs for a year to hide the incision. have baby fine very thin hair. Bangs don't work. He didn't want to do a higher incision as it would make my forehead bigger. He settled on an upper bleph. I'm worried it's not going to look as good and could change the shape of my eyes. Any thoughts on the pros/cons of each?

Irregular Trichophytjc Forehead Lift for sad eyes.

Irregular Trichophytjc Forehead Lift for sad eyes.This is a procedure we developed 35 years ago to raise the brows and lower the hairline if needed. Hair grows thru the scar and it is not seen and you do not need bangs. See a very experienced surgeon who does this technique and look at his results and hairlines.

Brow lift of upper bleph?

If you are relaxed in the photograph, your brows appear to be in a good position.  A blepharoplasty would be a much better option.  I hope you find this information helpful.

Thomas Hubbard, MD, FACS
Virginia Beach Plastic Surgeon

Browlift or upper blepharoplasty?

I am a big advocate for a prehairline browlift in appropriate candidates usually telling them that the incision fades from visibility after approximately six weeks.  In your case however I do not think you are a candidate for browlift since your eyebrow position in the photograph is quite good.  A blepharoplasty would be my first choice for you.  I do find however that some patients raise their brows as they take a photograph and so this may be misleading but if the picture is accurate no browlift is necessary.  Best wishes and good luck.

Jon A Perlman M.D., FACS
Diplomate, American Board of Plastic Surgery
Member, American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS)
ABC-TV Extreme Makeover Surgeon
Beverly Hills, California

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Brow lift or upper blepharoplasty

From the one limited photograph, it appears that the eyebrows are in a good position, therefore a brow lift is not necessary. To rejuvenate the  Eyelids requires an upper blepharoplasty procedure which removes the hooded and excess skin. For more information and many  before and after examples of both procedures, please see link and the video below

Brow lift with upper blepharoplasty

I would recommend an upper blepharoplasty with an brow suspension, which is done through the upper eyelid incision. Your brows seem to be in a good position and they can fall with upper blepharoplasty alone.  A brow suspension will prevent this.  This could be a good option if you have a high hairline and thin hair. 

Raj P. TerKonda, MD, FACS

Brow Lift of Upper Blepharoplasty

Based solely on this picture I do not think you need a brow lift but I may change my mind after seeing a picture of your full face. If you do decide to have a brow lift consider the Irregular Trichophytic Hairline Incision technique that we described many years ago. With this approach your hairline position can be maintained or changed depending on your needs. Hair will grow through and in front of the incision so you have total freedom of hair styling.

Brow lift or upper blepharoplasty?

For many people, a brow lift or an upper blepharoplasty could both provide improvement.  In your case, it appears to me that your brows are in fairly good position, so I would recommend an upper blepharoplasty.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Upper eye bleph

Based on this photo, your brow seems to be in a good position.  So doing just an upper eyelid bleph should remove the excess skin and open up your eyes.  You can always do a browlift later on if you decide the brow should be higher.  

John J. Martin, Jr., MD
Coral Gables Oculoplastic Surgeon

Brow lift or upper bleph?

This is not a decision we can make based on a single photo. If your forehead is truly at rest in the photo, then a conservative upper blepharoplasty will do the trick. Your brows look to be in a reasonable position on the photo. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Brow lift or upper bleph?

Hi, I have performed many Brow Lifts and Eyelid Surgeries over the past 30 years.  From the photos, your eyebrows appear to be minimally lower.  During your consultation, the surgeon should stand behind you as you look into a mirror and elevate your eyebrows into their proper aesthetic position as outlined in my book on face and body beauty.  When this is done there are three possible outcomes that decide what should be considered, Brow Lift, Upper Eyelid Surgery, or a combination of both.  Following this evaluation is the most accurate way of determining the best course of action.  If your hair is "too fine" to hide a scar 3 inches inside the hairline then the Upper Blepharoplasty should be considered along with shaping of the eyebrows by an esthetician.  I have seen many unhappy women who had a Brow Lift incision along the front hairline or along a forehead creases by other Brow Lift Surgeons.  I don't use that approach for Brow Lifts.

1. All the excess upper eyelid fullness is gone when the brows are elevated to their proper aesthetic position.  This means all the laxity is due to the low eyebrows and a Brow Lift is recommended alone.  Should upper eyelid skin be removed in this scenario, the eyebrows will be pulled down further as the incision is closed, which should be avoided.

2. None of the upper eyelid fullness is reduced.  This means that the eyebrows are in the proper aesthetic position and all the fullness is due to excess upper eyelid skin and an Upper eyelid surgery alone is recommended.

3. The most common in women over 50 years of age is when the brows are lifted, some but not all of the upper eyelid fullness is removed.  This means the eyebrows are low and there is excess upper eyelid skin.  For complete upper eyelid rejuvenation both a Brow Lift and upper eyelid surgery is required.  If only a Brow Lift is performed some but not all of the upper eyelid fullness is reduced.  If an upper eyelid surgery alone is considered, only the remaining amount of excess upper eyelid fullness shown with this maneuver can be removed.  If more is removed, the eyebrows will be pulled downward.  

Hope this helps.