Breast implant rejection.

What is T cell ? Have had implants for about 4 years and have lumps and red unhealed areas on the incisions.

Implant rejection

Thank you for your question.  I appreciate your concerns but it sounds more like poor scarring than a rejection issue.  If the problem is only on the incision it is doubtful that your having problems with your implants, however it is impossible to tell without an in person exam. I recommend you see your surgeon or another plastic surgeon to evaluate the area.  Best Wishes!

Tucson Plastic Surgeon

Problems with breast scar, 4 years out

How people heal their breast incisions can vary somewhat. I would hope you have brought your question and concern to your surgeons attention for often if someone has healed their scar with more than typical scar tissue a simple scar revision can help it a ton. A firm scar or raised scar doesn't represent a problem with your implant, it's just a skin healing issue. Your scar is certainly a mature scar at this juncture so just pay a visit to your surgeon and ask what they suggest. Take care.

Jeffrey Nelson, MD
Tucson Plastic Surgeon

You may have developed some hypertrophic scarring or even keloids. This itself is not a rejection of the implants, but how your body heals with scars. Without photos, I cannot be certain. I would suggest going back to your surgeon and discussing all your concerns.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Breast implant rejection?

Hello and thank you for your question.
T-cells are a type of white blood cell that circulates our blood stream protecting other cells from outside germs and cancerous cells. They are essential to our immune system and play a large role in it. It is very dangerous to be deficient in even one type of T-cells (think HIV/AIDS). They are also responsible for the rejection of transplanted organs or implants, some allergic reactions, and virtually all auto-immune diseases. 

It is hard to understand your question. Do you mean to say you think your breast implants are being rejected? Breast implants are made from silicone/saline and autoimmune rejection is practically unheard of, so that may not be the current issue. 
The unhealed areas on the incision four years post operation are worrisome. There are no photos provided to examine and suggest a diagnoses and treatment options. Although even if I did I strongly recommend you consult with a board certified plastic surgeon for an in-person examination as that is the only way to truly know what could be causing issues with your implants. 

Best wishes

Traci Temmen, MD 

Traci Temmen, MD