5'5, 135lbs, 13.5cm; thinking 300cc for a conservative sporty look, currently a small B maybe an A?

Worried about going too big, tried the mentor silicon 300ccs

Worried about going too larger

Thank you for your question. When choosing implant size, you must take many factor into concern. Your goals, your breast dimensions and the quality of your skin. The Mentor sizing system and especially the Vectra 3D imaging can be helpful in giving you a good idea of your breast look post-surgery. The number one complaint is "I wish I went larger". I am certainly not talking you into larger, after surgery this is just the number one thing man of us hear. Your surgeon measured the width of your breasts (13.5cm) and probably suggested the implant that will fit that dimension and give you a conservative look. If you are still concerned I would find a board certified plastic surgeon with the Vectra 3D imaging system. Best of luck.

Breast Implant sizing

The most common reason to return to surgery after successful breast augmentation is to go to a larger size. When initially trying on the sizers, many patients feel that the size seen is too large. But when she replaces her blouse, they will frequently seem smaller. Also, as one backs up from the mirror, they appear smaller. So try on several sizes in a couple of tops for a better assessment, realizing the the final size will appear about 10% smaller than that which you see in the mirror when trying on sizers. 

Breast Implants/Breast Augmentation/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision Surgery

I appreciate your question.

The size of implant best for you is dictated by your chest wall measurements.  Once we determine that we can choose the profile based on what you want or need to achieve.  If you are seeking a natural look, then the diameter of the implant should be equal to or, more ideally, smaller than the width of your breast. The breast width is a measurement of how wide your breast is at the base, which should be measured at the level of the nipple. Choosing an implant that is smaller in diameter than your breast width will avoid the "side breast" fullness that is often associated with a more artificial appearance.  Other than that, you should choose the implant based on volume, not on the dimensions of the implant. You should choose a board certified plastic surgeon that you trust to help guide you in this decision.  

Silicone will give you a fullness at the top (upper pole fullness).

Silicone implants come pre-filled with a silicone gel and are the softest implant available. They feel more natural, which makes them a good option for women with less natural breast tissue; but they require a larger incision. It may be more difficult to realize if this type of implant has ruptured, so it is important to monitor them with annual follow-up visits. Additionally, because this implant contains a more liquid silicone (less cross-linked), if this implant should rupture, it will leak only into the scar capsule formed around the implant but may cause some discomfort or implant distortion.

Anatomic gummy bear implants might be a good choice to give you volume.

These highly-sought-after, anatomic implants offer a look that more closely resembles the natural silhouette of a breast, and, therefore, are a very attractive option for individuals seeking a natural-looking, aesthetic primary breast augmentation. Additionally, these implants are an especially excellent option for patients undergoing restorative or corrective breast surgery because they provide more stability, shape, and reduced incidence of capsular contracture. Compared to other types of silicone gel implants, the silicone in the cohesive gel implant is more cross-linked; therefore, should the implant shell “rupture,” it maintains its shape and silicone does not leak.

During your breast augmentation consultation, you should feel the different types of implants available, and try on various implant sizers in front of a mirror to help you to get an idea of how you will look following the surgery. You should also bring pictures of the look you would like to achieve, as well as a favorite top to wear when trying on implant sizers.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

#RealSelfCORESurgeon

Worried about going too big?

Thank you so much for your question. Trying implant sizers is the best way to gauge the appropriate size recommendation, in my opinion. If the 300 cc did not appear to you or your plastic surgeon to be overwhelming, then it's not likely to look too big after surgery. I do always recommend to patients to have at least several consultations and to try sizers at all the offices you visit after a careful discussion about your goals! Best, Dr. ALDO

Aldo Guerra, MD

You certainly have adequate base with to accommodate a 300 cc or even larger breast implant.  The best way to answer your question is for you to undergo breast implant sizing.  If her surgeon did not have sizers then you should do the Rice test in the privacy of your home to see how 300 cc look on you.   The Rice test is described in the length below:

You have to choose the implant size

that will give you the look that you want... unlined bra with sizers and light colored tops will give you the best idea (that doesn't cost a lot of money) of what size will work for you.  Forget about cup sizes... focus on implant size that will make you happy with how you see yourself in the mirror.  And use rice sizers at home and around town to see how comfortable you are with the different sizes.

Curtis Wong, MD

Best breast implants for me?

Thank you for the question. Despite your good description of body type and goals, online consultants will not be able to provide you with specific enough advice to be truly helpful. Ultimately, careful communication of your goals (in my practice I prefer the use of goal pictures, direct examination/communication in front of a full-length mirror, in bra sizers, and computer imaging)  as well as careful measurements (dimensional planning) will be critical.

Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering breast augmentation surgery ( regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully. Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. ***Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.

2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals. 

In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. For example, 

I have found that the use of words such as “conservative sporty look” or "B cup” etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.

Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate. Again, the use of computer imaging has been very helpful during the communication process, in our practice.

3. Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly, allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals. Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery, after the use of temporary intraoperative sizers.

I hope this (and the attached link, dedicated to breast augmentation surgery concerns) helps. Best wishes. 

Breast Augmentation - Size Selection

Thank you for your question. "Tissue based planning" relies on your chest and breast measurements and is the safest way to ensure good long term results. Your surgeon should determine what size and projection are necessary to give you your desired result based on your body's measurements. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic breast surgery. Hope this helps and good luck with your surgery.