3 months post op from getting a subcutaneous mastectomy from my general surgeon, do I look fine? (Photo)

My left pectoral has healed nicely but I'm confused as to why my right side looks a bit off, what course of action do you feel I should take? Or is this something I should even be worried about?

Breast asymmetries after Male Mastectomy, what to do?

Hi S.pend,Thanks for your question and photos. It appears that you may have some residual breast tissue or gynecomastia left or more scar tissue or a seroma pocket that formed after surgery. Without an exam it is impossible to tell. I would see your surgeon to get a more definite answer, but if it still breast tissue, then you will need a revision as it appears that some residual tissue remains on both sides. But my opinion is based on your photos. Hope this helps. Good Luck, hopefully your surgeon can correct the problem!   All the best, Carlos Mata MD, MBA, FACS #gynecomastia #asymmetry Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

3 months post op from getting a subcutaneous mastectomy from my general surgeon, do I look fine?

Thank you for sharing your question and photographs.  It is difficult without an in-person examination to know if your right chest is having scarring issues from the incision used to perform your  subcutaneous mastectomy or if you have residual gynecomastia tissue.  The former may resolve with a steroid injection and massage while the latter would require revision surgery.  Talk to your surgeon about your concerns, they can best help you diagnose and treat the contour irregularity.  Hope this helps.

Healing & Assymetry After Gynecomastia Surgery

Asymmetry during the healing process is not at all uncommon after any breast surgery.  Also, your incisions will go through a maturation #process following #Gynecomastia #surgery. For the first few months they will be red and possibly raised and/or firm. As the scar matures, after 6-12 months, it becomes soft, pale, flat, and much less noticeable. You may experience numbness, tingling, burning, “crawling”, or other peculiar sensations around the surgical area. This is a result of the #healing of tiny fibers which are trapped in the incision site. These symptoms will disappear. Some people are prone to keloids, which is an abnormal scar that becomes prominent. If you or a blood relative has a tendency to keloid formation, please inform the doctor. Bruising and #swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely. 
Also, as you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin. If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff.

Gynecomastia result

After three months of healing you should have a pretty good idea of what your final result will be.  Everyone heals differently,but typically a 3 month result is predictable of a final outcome.  Is the fullness in the right side new, or has it been different from the left side all along?  It's not uncommon to have scar tissue build up behind the nipple areola complex on one or both sides, and this scar tissue usually melts away with a steroid injection such as Kenalog.  Talk to your surgeon about this asymmetry; there is always something that can be done in cases like this to optimize your final result.

George H. Pope, MD