Possible Tubular Breasts? (photo)

I am 21, slightly overweight and have been self conscious of my breasts for years. I recently came across an article regarding Tubular Breasts and feel as though I fit some of the description. However, my mother has a slight sag to her breast shape and I don't know if that could just be the issue with mine. When my nipples are erect my breasts become very round and much perkier, however, naturally they are not. I have never been pregnant or lost/gained an abnormal amount! Thanks!

What do tubular breasts look like?

Tuberous Breasts have been labeled with a variety of names and conditions. These include the following: Tubular Breasts, Constricted Breasts, Puffy Nipples, Snoopy Breasts, and Conical Breasts What is a Tuberous Breast? This breast condition is a developmental problem of the breast. It may be characterized by a variety of appearances generally seen at the time of puberty. There may be breast underdevelopment of the breast with little or no breast tissue. There may be deficiency of breast skin. The breast may appear narrow, tubular, long, conical or droopy. These contours have resulted in the use of unattractive names such as Tubular Breasts, or Snoopy Breasts. Frequently, the areola (nipple) is often herniated forward creating a ‘Puffy Nipple’, or dome shape to the areola. The areola may be excessively large. Another unkind urban term is ‘Bologna Breast’, so called because the woman’s areolas are so large, that they take up almost the entire surface area of the woman’s breast. The color of the areola may be colored the same shade as bologna. Often, the lower part or lower pole of the breast is deficient (see severity) adding to Breast Asymmetry. The breasts are often widely displaced. The condition may be on one side (unilateral) or both (bilateral) and is often uneven between the two sides. Severity TBD may be divided into types depending on the severity: Type l affects the lower inner quadrant of the breast Type ll (grade 2) affects the lower breast , inner and outer Type lll (grade 3) affects the whole breast

Very Mild Case Of Tubular Breast

You may have a mild case of tubular breast but nothing significant. You could have a breast lift with or without a breast implant.  

Miguel Delgado, MD

Tubular breasts treated with Breast Augmentation with Mini Ultimate Breast Lift

You may have a very mild case of tuberous breasts.  Your problems are your breasts are low, small, too far apart and the areolas are large.  You would benefit from breast augmentation through a circumareola approach.  Through this technique you could place the implant high on the chest wall, elevate the breast tissue and reduce the size of your areolas.  It is important to align all 3 in the same horizontal plane to give you the maximum projection and increase your cleavage.  You are a perfect candidate for a new technique called Breast Augmentation with Mini Ultimate Breast Lift.

Best Wishes,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Tubular Breast

Yes, you have tubular breasts and would do well with a concentric lift and augmentation.  The implant would expand the fold under your breast and make you more symmetrical. This is a common abnormality.

Robert Kearney, MD, FACS
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Possible Tubular Breasts?

Yes in my opinion based upon the posted photos you have tuberous breast deformity. Seek in person evaluations from boarded PSs in your city. 

Tuberous breasts

Yes, it looks like you have elements of tuberous breasts with wide set narrow based breasts, and large areola.  Good luck with future surgery.

Do I Have Tuburous Breasts And If So, What Can I Do About Them?

Thank you for your question and pictures.  You do in fact have many of the elements of tuberous breasts.  To make your breasts more attractive, in my practice, I would do a Benelli mastopexy with implants.  This technique can be viewed on my website, Breast Implant Center of Hawaii.  This surgery would reduce the size of your areola and lift your breasts.  Your breasts are overly projected and the circumareolar permanent suture would push them back and give you a rounder, more desirable appearance.  The puffiness of your areola is secondary to the breast tissue herniating into your areola.  Dermal anchor sutures would correct this problem, and this is part and parcel of the standard Benelli mastopexy. 

I highly recommend you find a Board Certified plastic surgeon, a member of ASPS and ASAPS, who has experience in the Benelli or circumareolar mastopexy. 

Possible Tubular Breasts?

Dear  Cr194221,

Thank you for your photos which do demonstrate that you have a moderate version of tuberous breasts.  I do not need to list the components that comprise a tuberous breast which are listed by other plastic surgeons who also answered your question.

The important thing is what to do next. There are a number of options to improve the appearance of your breasts and a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon is needed to determine which treatment option is best for you.  Ask to look at their before and after photos of tuberous breast patients which will be of great help to you.

Best of luck to you.

Herluf G. Lund, Jr, MD
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

What do tubular breasts look like

HI,

Thanks for the pictures. You do have some elements of tubular breast deformity. These have been described in several of the other answers so I will not repeat the details. Probably the best way to correct this is to have a combined breast augmentation and mastopexy. The mastopexy (lift) will decrease the areolar diameter and centralize the nipples on the breast mound and the augment will expand the base of the breasts and enhance their volume. I hope this helps.

Regards,

Daniel Medalie, MD

Possible Tubular Breasts?

Yes, your photos do indicate a modest form of the tuberous breast deformity. The problem can be dramatically improved with surgery, but it is not as easy as just doing a lift or an augment. Make sure the surgeon you choose is well experienced in this type of surgery.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD