Tubular Breast? Correction Without Implants? (photo)

Hello! I'm a 26 yo woman and I'm not sure if I have a tubular breast deformity. My breasts developed app. between 12 and 14 and have stayed like that ever since - meaning very small (34AA? I'm not sure), pointy and with puffy nipples. I don't really have a problem with being small but the shape looks really odd to me. So my questions: Are they tuberous? And is it possible to correct the shape without implants? I really don't like the "feeling" of implants. Thank you!

I see no indication for surgery on the posted breasts.

I don't see anything particularly wrong with the shape of the breasts. I certainly wouldn't exchange any modest shape change for the scars associated with a procedure.

Tubular Breast? Correction Without Implants?

Of all the findings associated with tubular breasts, the only one present in these photos is the puffy areolas, so I would not call these tubular,thought I wouldn't quarrel with a surgeon who would. 

Although this can be improved with incisions around the areolas, and the uneven folds can be corrected, both without implants, I am not certain that the improvement would justify the scars needed.

All the best. 

Not tubular breast

You have small breasts with a slightly widened areola.  You do not have tubular breasts.   You would do well with a standard breast augmentation if you wish to improve the shape of your breast. 

Tubular Breast Deformity

Hi LavenderLily7

From your photos, you do not look like you have tubular breast deformity. Although a proper consultation and physical examination with a Plastic Surgeon is more accurate, I don't think that you would get a different answer.

As to 'correcting' your breast shape without being made larger - yes you can adjust the appearance of your nipples and aureolas surgically. You can also adjust the shape of your breasts with fat grafting, but this does come at the cost of increasing your breast size. You need to understand the pros and cons of fat grafting before embarking on this procedure, as it is not really mainstream yet, but may become in time.

Good Luck

Dr Gavin Sandercoe

Tubular breasts?

I do not think that your breasts are tuberous. I think the areola are a bit puffy. This can be corrected with surgery if you desired.

Thank you for the question and pictures. You will be best off seeking consultation with board-certified plastic surgeons who can demonstrate significant experience with breast surgery. During this consultation process you will be able to communicate your concerns, much better than what can be done online.

Based on your photographs, I do not think that you have “tuberous” breasts. If your concern is the “puffy” areola, this can certainly be corrected. You will need to consider the pros/cons of surgery including the presence of scars.

Given that the degree of “deformity” is relatively minor, you may wish to leave things alone and avoid surgical intervention altogether. Again, for more accurate advice please seek consultation with board-certified plastic surgeons. Asked to see lots of examples of their work and communicate your goals/concerns carefully.

I hope this, and the attached link, helps.

You do not have tubular breasts.  The shape is normal.  The areolae can be made less puffy if you desire.

Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Puffy nipples themselves don't always mean tubular breasts, or tuberous breasts

While your breasts are small in volume, and your arealae are somewhat prominent, I don't think you have tuberous breast deformity or areolar herniation.  While breast implants may improve the volume and overall shape of your breasts themselves, I think they could also increase the projection of your nipples by pushing outward against them.  While the projection of the nipples could be reduced by a periareolar lifting procedure, I get the impression from looking at your images that this wouldn't work as well on you as you have more of a solid breast bud under the areaolae rather than a loose, patulous, herniated areola.  While the periareolar lift might succeed at reducing the diameter of your areolae, the nipple projection would probably persist.  Thus, if I were you, I would only have surgery if you wanted your breasts to be bigger and fuller, and depending upon how things looked in person, I might suggest a periareolar lift along with this, or I might not and just advise you that you may have slightly prominent nipples.  Otherwise, if you don't really want fuller or larger breasts, just accept your breasts and nipples as they are, because even though you may not think they are perfect, they are probably already better than anything that can be created surgically.

Tubular or not

There is a new technique called The Mini Ultimate Breast Lift.  Using only a circumareola incision it is possible to correct your puffy nipples, reshape your breast tissue creating upper pole fullness, elevate them higher on the chest wall and more medial to increase your cleavage.  Aligning the areola and breast tissue over the bony prominence of the chest wall maximizes anterior projection and avoids the need for implants.  This technique works whether the breast are tubular or not.

Best Wishes,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Tuberous Breasts Can Be Improved Without An Implant

Thank you for your question and photographs.  Tuberous breasts can have their shape improved with a lift that releases the constricting fibrous bands inside.  Your photographs suggest that you have a constricting band around the areola.  You may also have constricting bands at the base of the breast.  You should not get an implant if you do not like the concept for yourself.  A good result is possible for you.  Good luck.

Mary Lee Peters, MD