Are These Tuberous Breasts? (photo)

I'm pretty sure I have large, tuberous breasts.. are they? or how else would label them/what is wrong with them? They are very large, weird shaped, and flat. and I have large, puffy areolas.. Could I have them corrected with a good result without implants since they are pretty large even though they're droopy and flat? I don't want implants since they're already decently big. thanks! also, would Blue Cross Blue Shield insurance cover this if they are a congenital conformity? what would the cost be?

Breast deformity or just enlargement of the breasts

I think you have some part of the tuberous breast deformity however due to the size, the operation I would recommend to you is a simple breast reduction.  This will reorient you breast tissue and reposition the nipple and areola forward.  You will look great!  Seek out a board certified plastic surgeon.  Depending on what symptoms you have, insurance coverage may be an option.  Best wishes!!

Are These Tuberous Breasts?

Whether you do have a tuberous component to your breasts is a moot point. You have significant asymmetry and hyperplasia with 4th degree ptosis that a breast reduction/lift can correct. ONly an in person examination from a boarded PS can address if insurance will cover the surgery. 

Tuberous breasts?

It is difficult to tell from your photos posted whether or not your breasts are tuberous. they look large and pendulous but could be on a narroew base.  An exam in person would be best. 

Tuberous or not

Hi,

thanks for the post. i would agree with the PS here; you don't have tuberous breasts. you have large pendulous hanging breasts. a full mastopexy with slight volume correction on the right breast would be all that is needed. 

insurance will not likely cover this procedure, unless you commit to a bilateral reduction. Insurance companies have become very difficult to work with in these cases, since they want to deny everything as cosmetic. 

best to you. 

Bennett Yang, MD
Rockville Plastic Surgeon

Not tuberous

Bilateral breast reductions will help you. There is nothing wrong with your breasts, they are just very large and asymmetrical.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD

TUBEROUS BREASTS

Your breasts are not Tuberous.  You do not need implants. You should be able to acheive a nice result with Bilateral Mastopexies with a small reduction on the right breast.

Todd B. Koch, MD
Buffalo Plastic Surgeon

Are these tuberous breasts

You do not have tuberous breasts. You have pendulous breasts with assymetry. In lay persons terms, your breasts sag and are different on the two sides. A bilateral breast lift with a reduction on one side is indicated. Low level of discomfort and a relatively mild recovery period.

Rick Rosen, MD
Norwalk Plastic Surgeon

Are these tuberous breast

You have pendulous breast with asymmetry, but not tuberous breast.  A breast lift with reduction of the breast volume will make a dramatic difference, but may or may not be covered by insurance.  

Are These Tuberous Breasts?

Based on these photos I do not think that your breasts are what I would call tuberous.  Tuberous breasts are, literally, like tubes - the tissue is relatively long and narrow, with more of the tissue forced into the areola than is normally the case, and with a narrow base.  Tuberous breasts are typically though not always small.

Regardless of what term is used, though, I think that you would benefit from a breast lift with a small reduction (a reduction to some degree is performed as part of most breast lifts).  I don't know whether enough tissue would be removed so as to qualify for a breast reduction coverage by insurance but it doesn't appear that way.  I would suggest, as have others, that you seek one or more consultations with a board-certified plastic surgeon to see what your options are surgically, and also to discuss the possibility of insurance coverage.

I hope that this helps and good luck,

Dr. E

Tuberous breasts?

It is difficult to judge from your picture but it certainly seems as though you have some of the characteristics that define a tuberous breast.  Unfortunately, I don't think insurance would cover this for you.  Again, based on your pictures, I would think that a standard anchor-type breast lift without implants (and perhaps with a slight reduction on your right side so that it matches the left) would be the appropriate procedure for you.

Edwin C. Pound, III, MD