Do I have tuberous breasts? Would I require a breast lift for implants to sit ok? (photos)

Do I have tuberous breasts? Would I require a breast lift to make implants sit ok? I was told by a cosmetic surgeon they could not go ahead with the scheduled breast augmentation because my breasts were tuberous (I don't know how they missed it before scheduling me in...). I was told I need a lift before I should consider implants, leaving a large lollipop shaped scar. Scarring like that to me isn't worth the augmentation when I am already fairly happy with the shape.

Do I have tuberous breasts? Would I require a breast lift for implants to sit ok?

Thank you for the question. Based on your photographs, I think that you are starting at a good place and should have a very nice outcome with breast augmentation surgery. There are no features of constricted/tuberous breasts present.

Ultimately, careful communication of your goals (in my practice I prefer the use of goal pictures, direct examination/communication in front of a full-length mirror, in bra sizers, and computer imaging) as well as careful measurements (dimensional planning) will be critical.   Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering breast augmentation surgery ( regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully. Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.

2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals.  In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. For example, I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or "C or D cup" etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful. Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate. Again, the use of computer imaging has been very helpful during the communication process, in our practice.

3. Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly, allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals. Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery, after the use of temporary intraoperative sizers. I hope this (and the attached link, dedicated to breast augmentation surgery concerns) helps. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.

Breast augmentation or augmentation mastopexy

Hi and thanks for the photos and question.  You do not have tuberous or constricted breasts.  Your breast shape is very nice and very natural and should do well with augmentation without the need for  lift.  Make sure you see a fully qualified Plastic Surgeon or Specialist Plastic Surgeon rather than a cosmetic surgeon or cometic physician for an opinion.

Dr Mark Hanikeri MBBS, FRACS

Perth Specialist Plastic Surgeon

Thanks for your questions and pictures.  You do not appear to have tuberous breasts in your pictures.  Also, it does not appear that you would require a breast lift to achieve a nice outcome with breast augmentation.  Make sure you meet with a board certified plastic surgeon for an in person examination.

Naveen Setty, MD