Is there a risk to get breast cancer with fat transfer to the breast?

Is there a risk to get breast cancer if you get fat transfer to the breast? I'm looking into getting fat transfer to the breast instead of implants and a doctor said it's too much of a risk for Breast cancer is this true? Also if any doctor's do this procedure im looking for a doctor for it. And if and ladies have had this done how do you like your results

Risks

As far as we know, there is no risk of breast cancer, or other cancer, from a fat transfer. Fat has been transferred into breasts for many years. I would suggest meeting with a board certified plastic surgeon in your area and discussing all your concerns.

San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Is there a risk of getting breast cancer with fat transfer to the breast?

Thank you for your question. Fat transfer to the breast has been done for many years, mostly in reconstructive breast surgery. In the past few years this procedure was introduced in the cosmetic breast surgery arena. There's no relationship of cause and effect between fat grafts to the breasts and breast cancer. What's been documented in mammograms that some "macro" calcifications and oil cysts can develop in the breasts. This is different from the "micro" calcifications which are signs of breast cancer. The radiologists can distinguish between the two very easily . Matter of fact, if a woman has a breast augmentation, lift or reduction will heal with scarring which can show "macro"calcifications just like fat grafting can. Fat grafting can give you about one cup size increase, unless the BRAVA external expander is used. Breast augmentation with implants is more predictable, but of course there's maintenance involved. We have been doing this procedure for several years as a stand alone procedure or with breast lifts or augmentation to improve cleavage and breast bone deformities. See a board certified plastic surgeon experienced in these techniques for an in person consultation. Good luck.

Fat transfer and breast cancer risk

This is an interesting topic and has generated a lot of concern and debate in both the lay press and academic journals as well. The bottom line is this: at this time, no one has been able to demonstrate an appreciable increase in risk for breast cancer amongst women that have had autologous fat grafting to the breast performed. The ASPS has validated the procedure as 'safe' and board certified plastic surgeons are doing it. Having said that, I firmly believe that a silicone implant augmentation is far more cost effective and reliable than fat grafting. Our clinic offers both procedures.