Necrosis from labiaplastly wedge technique. (photos)

I am having necrosis and a "rotting of the flash" at the BASE/ of my labia on the right labia minora.. it's like it's eating a hole through the bottom of my labia it's going all the way through to the other (inner) side like it's making a HOLE all the way through but is at the base of the labia minora...will this keep growing? Will there be a chance that I lose my labia altogether? I'm freaking out I'm having extreme anxiety and have been crying hours! ! It seems to be GROWING!

Labiaplasty

Make sure that you are following your post operative instructions very closely.  Its imperative that you follow up with your surgeon on your healing progress and go to every follow up appointment.  You can have a revision once you are completely healed which will take at least 5-6 months or so. 

Be sure to choose a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon that specializes in labiaplasty procedure and has an extensive photo gallery. This will help ensure a good result with optimal aftercare.

Complication after wedge labiaplasty

As the inventor and innovator of the wedge technique in 1994, I reconstruct many women who have had labia reductions by other surgeons, both wedge and trimming techniques. The defect will probably remain after you heal, but  you will not lose your labia. You will probably need a reconstruction. The reconstruction technique depends on the deformity. However, no attempt to revise your labia should be done until you are at least five months after your past procedure as your appearance will improve, and the swelling will be less. You need to control your anxiety and wait. The reconstruction is more difficult than a primary labiaplasty and should be done by a plastic surgeon with extensive experience in labia reconstruction. I published the first and most extensive paper on labia reconstruction in the prestigious journal "Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery" about two years ago. You may need various reconstructive techniques to give you a good appearance, but this won't be known until all the swelling is gone. You only get one good chance to reconstruct you, so be patient and ask a lot of questions.

Gary J. Alter, M.D. 

Beverly Hills, CA - Manhattan, NYC

Gary J. Alter, MD

Wound complications after labiaplasty

can be distressing but none of what you are scared of should happen... your wound should go on to heal but you may have some scars or even holes in the labia that can be managed with a revision down the road.  So I assume your surgeon is aware and if so, allow him/her to guide you through this and follow instructions.  Your surgeon may have an idea as to why this happened and should be equipped to manage your outcome when completely healed.  So you will not lose your labia and it should not keep increasing in size... and if does, that requires a visit with your surgeon.  Hope it turns out how you desired when all the dust settles and the smoke clears.

Curtis Wong, MD

See your surgeon and keep your hands off if you experience a problem post-labiaplasty

It's not fun to feel freaked and so concerned re: your health. Please understand that it is impossible to give proper advice from a few pics to a patient we don't know. My advice, for what it's worth:

1. Take a deep breath. Your labia will not "fall off" with a hole drilling down to China... If you know any meditation technique, practice it for a bit.

2. Keep your fingers off it!! This will only tend to infect and may hasten separation.

3. VERY IMPORTANTLY: Call your surgeons's office or call center. Your payment for surgery includes 24/7 followup until you are all healed! It is your surgeon, not us, who is responsible for your aftercare and who can help you the best. Nothing can replace a prompt, thorough evaluation by the surgeon who knows you best!

Keep us posted please re: how you're doing and what your surgeon suggested and the therapy provided. That way, we all learn! The weblink below may help. Best wishes,

Michael P Goodman, MD

Wedge labiaplasty with tissue necrosis

Go see your surgeon. Dead tissue needs to be debrided (removed) to prevent it from becoming infected and messing you up further. If you're lucky it won't get worse, but sitting home is not an option. Tissue necrosis at the labia can be the result of too much tension and is more common in smokers.

Necrosis from wedge technique labiaplasty.

Thank you for sharing your question and photographs and I am sorry to hear of your incision separation.  It appears that too much skin tension was placed at the time of closure, resulting in your current appearance.  In many instances this will get worse before it gets better.  I would first recommend not touching or spreading your tissues to prevent worsening, and then see your surgeon for wound care instructions.  Hopefully you will not have a complete separation, and your body will be able to heal this from the inside out with little cosmetic effect.  Best wishes.