Upper body lift vs reverse abdominoplasty? Or revision of abdominoplasty? (photos)

I'm 6 months postoperative circumferential abdominoplasty and 11 months postop mastopexy. Overall my results are a great improvement, but considering my options to further tighten the upper body skin laxity, the arm pit and upper back skin is most bothersome for me. I have very toned upper back, shoulders, and arms, being a competitive swimmer. Considering my options, or am I being unrealistic? I'm 5ft 2 in, 135 lbs.

Upper body lift or reverse abdominoplasty?

Thank you for asking about your body lifts.
  • I assume you have lost a massive amount of weight - well done!
  • There is no substitute for an examination but your photos suggest this -
  • The excess lower abdominal skin needs to be removed directly via the tummy tuck incison.
  • The axillary (underarm) skin can be excised directly or incorporated into a back lift.
  • A reverse abdominoplasty will address the loose upper abdomen skin. 
  • I do not think you are being unrealistic - you have lost a lot of skin elasticity and these additional procedures are not surprising given the amount of weight you have lost.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Upper body lift vs reverse abdominoplasty

I do not think that you are being unrealistic. I think that there are still great improvements that can be made for you. There are a few options for you, depending on the areas that concern you the most. I'm looking at the photos, it looks like you would best be served by a reverse abdominoplasty for the front and upper back lift at your back along the bra line. Basically it is another circumferential body lift, but approaching areas like your upper abdomen, back, and the excess skin at your lateral chest. As always, I recommend that you see a board-certified plastic surgeon that is comfortable performing these types of procedures.Good luck, Ian Lytle, MD

Ian Lytle, MD
Dearborn Plastic Surgeon