Is it strange if a Board Certified plastic surgeon does not use liposuction with tummy tuck?

All my consults said that lipo with a tummy tuck is standard and part of the procedure to get the best results. I had one consult that said it's not necessary because you can scrape the fat out when the skin is up. What are the thoughts on this?

Liposuction with Tummy Tuck

This is a great question!  You would think that with every surgical procedure you can accomplish everything that is needed and everything the patient desires.  The problem is this: Our bodies have structures and processes that need to be considered.  Liposuction changes the way blood vessels get to the skin.  What I mean to say is that the instruments used can shear the blood vessels.  It takes time for these to grow back.  Normally, skin loss does not occur after liposuction.  However, if you add to the procedure a Tummy Tuck, then you are introducing more forms of intentional alteration to blood flow patterns.  This is because you have to lift and remove the unwanted skin, then close the incision.  Can you imagine the difficulties that you would have if your skin had no blood supply and your doctor needed that for healing?

So, Board Certified Plastic Surgeons are following the famous saying "First Do No Harm".  It is our intention to get you through a procedure as safely as we can, knowing that complications can occur.  In my practice I combine liposuction of the waist and sometimes the UPPER  abdomen.  I do that very cautiously because even in just routine tummy tucks without liposuction you can have skin break down (tension in the closure, patient does not tell you they smoke etc).

Well, I hope that helps!

Liposuction with Tummy Tuck

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Well, I hope that helps!

Liposuction and tummy tuck

This is a very good question . As chefs have different recipes to make a chocolate cake, Plastic Surgeons are the same. Different surgeons have different techniques to get the same end point . So, make sure you and your surgeon have the same end point goal and let your surgeon use his or her training and expertise to help you achieve your goal. Make sure you select a Surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery .

Liposuction and tummy tuck

No Liposuction with your Tummy Tuck

Dear Real Mommy, Not all plastic surgeons have the same approach just like many other specialties. Most importantly look at your physician's body of work and before and afters, read reviews on that surgeon and of course make sure you're choosing a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. He/she may have  an approach that works great for their clients however I use liposuction.

No Liposuction with your Tummy Tuck

Most of the time I do liposuction is done with my tummy tucks but its at your surgeons discretion whether he will do both at the same time. 

Good luck ! 

Good luck ! 

Dr Kayser

Thank you for your question. Liposuction is often combined with a tummy tuck but in different areas. Because a tummy tuck elevates skin, it's blood supply is altered and can be further compromised if liposuction is performed within the the skin flap that is elevated. However, the deeper layer of fat can be safely removed directly if the thickness of the skin flap needs to be thinned. The most current, and perhaps the safest approach, is to perform what is referred to as SAFE lipo, which is thought to be less traumatic. In patients who have significant fat, a staged liposuction procedure may be the best option followed at a later time by the actual tummy tuck. In any case, I would recommend a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon who is experienced with thes techniques. I hope this helps and have a wonderful day. Dr Kayser Detroit

Dr Kayser

Many surgeons directly cut out fat instead of using liposuction

Many surgeons will cut out fat directly instead of liposuction during abdominoplasty.  In fact many of us believe it is much safer to do than liposuction in terms of protecting blood supply.  Liposuction in the waist/flanks/pubic area at the same time of a tummy tuck is a different issue altogether.  At the end of the day different surgeons use different techniques.  Not only were we all taught differently but over our careers we decide what gets the best results in our hands and hone our techniques.  Ask to see before and after pictures, read online reviews, and let your surgeon figure out which tools to use to get you an awesome result!  Good luck!

Lipo and tummy tuck

First, not all patients require lipo with a tummy tuck. Second, suctioning is safest of the waist area at the same time. I personally do not like to suction the abdominal flap at the same time, because it can impact viability. of the flap.

Lipo and tummy tuck

Tummy tuck

Hello and thank you for your question.   The best advice you can receive is from an in-person consultation.  I perform liposuction for almost all of my tummy tucks, but many surgeons have different techniques.  If you are an appropriate candidate for a tummy tuck, this can be done through a low and short incision, all completely below the bikini line.  The belly button can be designed to look natural and have no scars on the exterior.   Your muscles can also be plicated resulting in a flat abdomen.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.  The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Tummy tuck

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Many Different Tummy Tuck Techniques

1. No, it is not "strange." You'd be surprised to learn that there are many different tummy tuck techniques...and they all can turn out great!
  2. Depends on exactly where the liposuction area is. Flanks/hips can be standard, but may come at an additional cost.  Liposuction of these areas at the same time as a tummy tuck does not tend to compromise blood flow to the abdominal area. Howevet, liposuction of the abdomen will depend on how aggressive a treatment is necessary. If there is a lot of abdominal fat that needs to be taken care of, liposuction is best performed as a separate procedure so as not to compromise the blood flow to the flap and cause skin death/necrosis. 
  3. Better to come back for some additional liposuction, than to come back for abdominal reconstructive surgery because too aggressive of liposuction was done at the same time as your tummy tuck. You can read some horror stories of that scenario here on RealSelf. 
  4. Best of luck. 

Millicent Odunze-Geers, MD, MPH
Sacramento Physician

Many Different Tummy Tuck Techniques

4. Best of luck. 

Liposuction with Tummy Tuck

There is no right or wrong answer here. Some plastic surgeons use liposuction to enhance results and others do not. The key is to admire your doctor's results. I tend to use liposuction for the hips and sides and to help with waistline definition during the tummy tuck. Sometimes it can be risky to liposuction the middle part of the abdomen as in certain cases it can risk delayed healing from poor circulation or even skin loss. 

Liposuction with Tummy Tuck