What "method" will my gyno more than likely use?

I recently went to my gyno in regards to a lapiaplasty to reduce the size of one side of my inner lapia. He has been in the business for years and I do feel he is qualified, though he wasn't fimilar with any of the method names such as wedge and trim. He said he basically just goes in, marks the area, and takes it off. What method is he technically using? Do you feel like he's still qualified even though he doesn't know this information?

OMG!! Beware of letting your "general Gyno" touch your labia. This exactly is where all the "BOTCHES" come from!!!

It is fortunate you've contacted us.  If your surgeon does not know even the terms, "linear/trim/wedge," much less how to perform these standard operations, and if (s)he cannot show you AT LEAST 25 "before and after" pics or their own work, ESPECIALLY whe (s)he says "...I just go in, mark off the area, and cut it off..." STAY AWAY from that person, or you will be a member of the list of RealSelf patients who later contact us when they've had an AMPUTATION. Please check the weblink bleow for helpful info re: different techniques. Then, go back to the blogs, and check this month's blog on "Avoidable Unintended Female Genital Mutilation "(aka "botched labiaplasty...") Also, check the drop-down menu under "Cosmetic Genital Procedures. Lots of helpful stuff for your decision. Choose experience; choose quality, even if it costs more. These are your LABIA, for Heavens sake!

Best Wishes,

Michael P Goodman, MD

Davis, CA, USA

Easy Answer

Trim. Trim. Trim.

That's all most doctors know. 

Without photos and a basic knowledge of techniques, go somewhere else. You have one good chance at a good result from a labiaplasty. I would be super selective. This is aesthetic surgery and should be done by someone with a skill set in aesthetics.

Not a general gynecologist

I would highly recommend you find a cosmetic surgeon who performs these procedures on a regular and frequent basis. There are many nuances and details that need to be addressed in order to optimize for best results

Are you a candidate for a labiaplasty?

There is a trend to have less prominent labia, but this is a matter of choice and there are no medical reasons to do so other than improving your appearance down there. Candidates for a Labiaplasty procedure are women who are concerned about the appearance of their labia or experience discomfort due to exceptionally large or long labia of either the inner our outer lips. Labia unevenness can result in discomfort with intimate contact, chronic rubbing, as well as psychological discomfort, which leads to the inability to wear certain types of tight clothing. Most women live with these symptoms, and actually are not even aware that a certain surgical procedure exists to help to correct this problem and restore their femininity.

Run away

Labiaplasty is a cosmetic procedure requiring some expertise to perform in an aesthetic fashion. I prefer posterior wedge technique described on my website (see link below), but a linear excision can be okay if done correctly. If not done correctly, it can be a botched disaster. Better check your gyne's before and after photos before you leap.

Robert L. True, MD
Grapevine OB/GYN

Technique

sounds like you doctor is planning lineal tesection. It is a good option given it fits your needs. Without pictures or exam, it is very hard to make recommendation on technique. 

Armen Kirakosyan, MD, FACOG, FACS
East Aurora Urogynecologist

Thank you for your excellent question.  I can understand your high regards for your gynecologist but unless he is able to produce photographs or patient references for a labiaplasty I would recommend researching a labiaplasty surgeon in your area to assure a more reliable outcome than what you may have with your current doctor.  As the labial tissues are delicate and difficult to reconstruct you want to have a surgeon perform the procedure correctly the first time.  Hope this helps.

Labiaplasty technique

Hello

It sounds like your gynecologist is talking about a "trim" labiaplasty where the excess labia is simply trimmed and the edge is sewn. This is commonly done and can be a good option for some women, but there are also other options and the surgical plan should be made based on your anatomy and desires. You may want to get another opinion, since ideally it would be best to choose a surgeon who can adapt the choice of procedure (wedge, trim etc) to your particular needs.

Best wishes-

Qualified?

Dear Doh:

It certainly doesn't sound like he has the fund of knowledge as to the surgical techniques which are available.   If he is qualified then ask to see before and after pictures. Ask him how many these he performs a month, when was last time he did surgery on someone for this problem. It sounds like he going to performa linear resection.   Ask him for  the chance to speak with one of his more recent labiaplasty patients.  When in doubt do NOT rush to surgery.  Choose a surgeon based upon education experience, expertise and one who achieves great results.

John R Miklos MD

Atlanta ~ BeverlyHills ~ Dubai

Labiaplasty

Ideally, you should have your Labiaplasty performed by a board certified plastic surgeon who specializes in Labiaplasty.  Its a surgical procedure that should be performed by a surgeon.