Swollen itchy burns on my legs after my first IPL treatment? (photos)

Immediately after my first ipl laser hair removal treatment, burns statred appearing on my legs where the doctor had started initiating the laser, above and below my knees. She noticed, said it was normal, and put burn cream on them. The day after thee began to itch and by the end of the day, they were swollen in the long rectangular shape of the laserand turning are beginning to turn red, even if there was minimal burning on some. Why did this happenand should I continue doing the treatment?

IPL Burns

IPL burns are common. Please see your treating physician for wound care to prevent skin color changes and scarring. Best of Luck!

Summit Emergency Medicine Physician

Always see an Expert for IPL--See an Cosmetic Dermatologist for Aftercare

This can be a common problem. I suggest seeing a cosmetic dermatologist who is an expert in lasers who can give you the right wound and skin care to prevent long term skin color changes and scarring. Best, Dr. Emer

IPL burns are more common than they should be

Unfortunately, burns from IPL are fairly common. Ideally, the treatment starts with a test in an area that is less visible, and with settings that are on the conservative side and then increased to tolerance. Even then, sometimes complications like burns can occur. Ask your doc about wound care to help these heal. It is so important that you trust your physician and that she/he responds with caring and concern about any complications. If she doesn't, find one who does.

Katherine Dee, MD
Seattle Physician

Go see your doctor. Good wound care is critical to provide the best healing.

IPL burns are common.  Good wound care is important to get the best healing and outcome.  Go back to see your doctor immediately for advice regarding care.

Mark Taylor, MD
Salt Lake City Dermatologic Surgeon