How long do I have to wait until I can get plastic surgery done after doing a C-section?

Procedures I'm interested in would be breast reduction & lift and liposculpture of the stomach area, back, inner and outer thighs. As well as, I would like to know if all these procedures can be done at the same time.

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well.. This is the surgical procedure that revolutionized cosmetic surgery becoming one of the most performed cosmetic procedures. Subcutaneous tissue or fat is removed in order to contour the body in a way that is harmonious and pleasing to the senses. It can be performed in almost all regions of the body such as the neck, chin, abdomen, back, buttocks, thighs, arms and ankles. Usually done through a small incision in the skin through which a cannula connected to a vacuum is applied, it can be performed alone or in combination with other procedures. After liposuction your body is going to be really swollen for at least 2 to 4 months after your surgery. It is important for you to wear your compression garment for at least 6 months, the first 3 months 24/7 and then the last 3 months at least 12 hours per day for your body get use to not having the faja for so many time. When you remove it, your body can get swollen and also you can have pain. Remember to also compress your body to prevent a seroma which is an accumulation of liquid that has to be drained, it is hard to touch and also really painful. Bruises are completely normal for almost 3 months from surgery, that’s why is better for you to use a bruising cream and apply it all over your body 3 times a day. To prevent bad circulation and swollen legs, use compression socks. Brazilian butt lift can be performed with the same procedure and for a month it will be swollen and it will drop a little bit without losing it’s shape if you use your garment.. If you’re going to perform liposuction on your inner, outer, anterior, lateral, postetior thighs, be careful and consult with your surgeon what’s best for you, sometimes we have more extra skin than fat, that can cause severe sagginess on our legs, which can be only be reversed performing a thigh lift…

How long do I have to wait until I can get a plastic surgery done after a C -section ?

The delivery way of giving birth  does not matter in terms of "when" to get a Plastic Surgery done after it.

What really matters is to wait  3 month after the last day you breastfeed your baby, for getting the surgery done.

This will let   pregnancy hormones  get down their  level, and allowing the surgery not  to cause hyper pigmentation of the wounds.

Adolfo Sesto, MD

C-SECTION & Liposcupture

Great question!  Three to six months is what is most commonly recommended, though, complete healing and scar maturation takes a full year.  It is also important to have discontinued your breast feeding for at least three months, before considering cosmetic surgery such as liposuction/liposculpture! 

After C-section.. Mommy Makeover

Hi, thank you for your question, 6 month after your c-section is enough to get a Liposuction. It will be good to post some photos to evaluate an guide you and give you the best advices. 

Luis A. Mejia, MD

Mommy makeover

After a C-section we typically have the patients wait 3 to 6 months for surgery, depending on the procedure.  Breast reduction/lift can be combined with liposuction of the abdomen hips and thighs.

Time to wait

For breast surgery, I would wait 6 months after finishing breast feeding before considering surgery. some women keep milk in their breasts for several weeks after nursing. You could consider liposuction about 3-6 months after finishing breast feeding. Six months would be best to let your hormones settle down to their normal level. Also, you need to give your body time to heal before having surgery.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

3 months is about the earliest that surgery could be considered.  I would search for the surgeon who you feel is most likely to give you the best results. Look at reviews and before and after pictures on that surgeon's website.

Liposculpture | Liposuction | Liposhaping

Most surgeons will answer this question a minimum of 3 but preferably at least 6 months. If you can wait one year, that is better.

To be sure what is best for you, see two or more experienced, board-certified Plastic Surgeons for a complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have surgery.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

It depends

In general, I want my patients to wait at least three months. I find most new mothers are not interested in surgery during the first few months after childbirth. Everyone is different and so are people's needs and wants. If you are at an ideal weight and want to have it sooner than three months, that may be feasible after sitting down with a plastic surgeon and making a good plan for you.

Mats Hagstrom, M.D.

Mats Hagstrom, MD

If you are breast feeding then you'd to wait at least 6 months or until your breasts have dried up. If you are not breast feeding you will still need to wait at least 6 months. The belly wall tissues need to heal and mature.Your weight needs to drop and stabilise. 
Please find a local Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who can examine you and help you understand your options and associated timetable for surgery.
Good Luck

Stephen M. Davis, MD, FACS
Green Hills Plastic Surgery