Is surgery the only option for bags and dark under eye circles? (photos)

im almost 51, is there any type of laser treatment available. How long is the recovery for surgery and the general cost?

Fillers

I WOULD TRY FILLERS BEFORE GOING IN AND DOING SURGERY , THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN FAT TRANSFER AND FILLERS ARE FILLER ARE LESS INVASIVE AND CAN LAST 6-9 MONTHS SOMETIMES UP TO A YEAR DEPENDING ON WHICH ONES. FAT TRANSFERS ARE USUALLY SURGICALLY DONE WITH LIPO AND TRANSFERRED TO ANOTHER AREA OF THE BODY. A FAT TRANSFER CAN ALSO BE DONE THROUGH A LOCAL AFTER SURGERY FOR A REPEAT FAT INJECTION. FAT INJECTIONS OR TRANSFERS ARE USUALLY MORE PERMANENT. THIS IS SOMETHING THAT YOU MAY WANT TO SPEAK TO YOUR DOCTOR ABOUT IN A CONSULTATION AND SEE WHAT YOUR OPTIONS ARE.

Eyelid Surgery

Thank you for your question. Temporary solutions including fillers are a great option, however, eyelid surgery (blepharoplasty) seems like a better fit because it is a long-term solution. I suggest that you consult in person with a board certified facial plastic surgeon. Best wishes,

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Eyelid Surgery

Thank you for sharing your concerns.   You have many options including fillers or fat. But surgery such transconjuctival blepharoplasty is your best long term optionGood Luck

Gaby D. Doumit, MD
Montreal Plastic Surgeon

Bags and dark circles under eyes

When indicated, the surgical removal of lower eyelid bulges (lower eyelid blepharoplasty) is the most direct approach to resolve the issue.  Laser skin treatments would not address the bulges that result from lower eyelid fat.  Laser treatments can be employed, sometimes in combination with surgery, to address the fine lines and wrinkles in the lower eyelid.  In specific circumstances, temporary dermal fillers may be used.  The recovery period is generally two weeks, although it may be longer depending on the amount of bruising, swelling, and the type of treatment(s) employed.  The general cost varies, and would be best to discuss during your consultation with your doctor and the staff.

Paul Nazemi, MD
Newport Beach Oculoplastic Surgeon

What are other options besides surgery for under eye "bags".

Surgery for under eye bags is often the first cosmetic surgery for an otherwise young individual. It is wonderful that there are some excellent options while one is "waiting for surgery" or "putting off surgery".  Dermal filler injections (I prefer Belotero or Restylane) can mask the bags by making the transition between your upper cheeks and the eyelid (bags) smoother by filling in the valley or the indentation. This treatment can last 9 months to several years.  Treatments to tighten the skin over the baggy areas can help.  Namely, fractional C02 resurfacing.  This won't eliminate the bags, but can help push them back by tightening the skin over them--like a girdle.  There are some topical cosmeceuticals that can temporarily improve the bags (Skin Medica eye  repair - which has growth factors, peptides and antioxidants works well).  Surgery, when the patient is  ready  is also a fine answer and the best solution for many because not only does it last a long time (sometimes up to 10- 20 years) but also it is very effective at improving the lower eyelid appearance.

Ritu Malhotra, MD
Cleveland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Dark Circles, Eyelid Wrinkles/Bags Treatment -- Restylane or Belotero with Cannulas, Clear+Brilliant, Eclipse Micropen, Viva

Surgery is the most permanent option, but there are other options such as laser, fillers, microneedling/PRP to get improvement without surgery.  Best, Dr. Emer.

There are many options.

Lower eyelid chemical peeling with phenol actually would the most powerful of the skin resurfacing options that would make a real difference.  You do appear to have a classic herniate orbital fat lower eyelid issue that does respond very well to transconjunctival (behind the eyelid) surgery that moves the herniated orbital fat into the space at the top of the cheek.  This can be down with or without the chemical peel.  If you absolutely opposed to surgery, the chemical peel is powerful.  Down load my free ebook on eyelid surgery which has examples of what is possible with this approach.

Is "surgery" the only answer for under eye bags?

Thanks for asking your question.  No, there are many other treatments.  Dermal filler injections (my preferred are Belotero and Restylane) can mask the bags by making the transition between your upper cheeks and the eyelid (bags) smoother.  This treatment can last 9 months to several years.  Treatments to tighten the skin over the baggy areas can help.  Namely, fraxel or C02 resurfacing.  This won't eliminate the bags, but can help push them back by tightening the skin over them--like a girdle.  There are some topical cosmeceuticals that can temporarily improve the bags (Skinceuticals AOX eye serum works well).  Surgery is also a fine answer and the best solution for many because of the longevity (sometimes up to 10- 20 years) and cosmetic effectiveness at improving the lower eyelid appearance .  Oftentimes the surgical incision is on the inside of the eyelid (no external or visible scar).  I think looking at your pictures, that surgery will offer a more satisfying result.  My practice offers non-invasive improvements as mentioned above all the way to surgery as patients are individuals with specific desires, concerns, expectations, and financial means.  Therefore, I would recommend a consultation with a qualified surgeon.  Many plastic surgeons are very good at eyelid surgery, but in general ASOPRS surgeons are the most experienced eyelid surgeons as this is their chosen field of subspecialty focus.  Best regards.

John R. Burroughs, MD
Colorado Springs Oculoplastic Surgeon