MRSA infection post op, emergency implant removal, how can I get this fixed asap?

I'm 20 yrs old & one of my implants got infected (only sign of infection was drainage, no fever/redness/warmth) &was removed in an emergency surgery. Honestly, I'm miserable, I have been doing this for 7 years this was the 1st revision I was kind of happy with even though I asked to be bigger (i had extreme asymmetry from a young age and my old surgeon was awful i finally switched). whats the fastest way to get this implant back in? how can the process be sped up, i can't do this anymore, please

Implant and infection

If you had an implant removed because of an infection. then you will need to allow the breast to heal for several months before considering a replacement. Best of luck.

I am sorry to hear about your situation.   Unfortunately it does happen,  fortunately it's rare.  But in your situation there is no fast way to fix it.   Healing takes time.   Your breast will undergo inflammation and scarring for approximately 6-8 weeks.  It will then begin to soften and feel more normal.   I would recommend not having the re-augmentation for at least 4 months.   Putting the implant in too early can result in another infection or the incision not healing well.   I know it is very difficult for you at this time but waiting is best.

Implant infection

I am so sorry to hear about all the difficulties that you have been having. Though significant infections are rare, infections following surgery do occur. Removal of the implant is the only way for the infection to truly clear. This will allow for a new implant to be placed without an increased risk of repeat infection. Sadly this means 4 to 6 weeks of asymmetry at a minimum and only if the infection clears quickly. Unfortunately there is no particular way to speed up the process and temporary bra fillers are the only way to correct for the asymmetry in the meantime.  I hope you have a quick recovery and an uneventful next procedure.

Paul B. Mills, MD
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Timing for breast implant replacement after infection and implant removal?

I am sorry to hear about the complications you have experienced; your disappointment/frustration is certainly understandable. You will find that there are very few "absolutes" in the field of plastic surgery. In other words, practices will vary from one plastic surgeon to another.

Personally, I think that the management of breast implant exposure situation needs to be individualized. In most cases, patients are best served by removing the breast implant involved, with the goal of breast re augmentation many months subsequently. Ultimately, timing of the re operation is best individualized depending on the clinical/microbiology findings.

Factors that I use when deciding when to return to the operating room include:  the nature of the infection present initially ( superficial versus deep, microbiology results…),  how well and/or quickly the patient's tissues "heal" after removal of breast implants,  the patient's physical examination with emphasis on softness/pliability of the patient's tissues…  Generally, if in doubt, best to undergo breast re augmentation later rather than too soon.

Keep in mind, what I have described is based on my personal experience/opinions.  Your plastic surgeon, having the benefit of knowing your history and  current situation, will always be your best resource.

Best wishes for an outcome that you will be pleased with longer-term.

Redo breasts augmentation after infection

Dear Ac,

So sorry for your problem and I understand clearly the devastation that you are going through. Unfortunately, there is no good way to speed up the healing process. That is because the post infection scarring in the pocket is very intense and it takes 6-12 months for the scar maturation process to occur.

Also, you want to be sure that the bacteria is gone. I had a patient that I redid the breasts augmentation due to infection after 4 months and I sent fluid from the pocket to the laboratory. To my surprise, it grew the same bacteria that caused the original infection , but luckily she was on the right antibiotics and the infection did not recur . 

So, as difficult as it is for you, you will be better off to wait and let the healing take place. Make sure that your surgeon is experienced board certified plastic surgeon , for best outcome.

Dr Widder

Time to heal is important...

First of all, sorry to hear you are going through this.  It is a horrible situation to be in and while not common, it is very stressful.  Dr Wages answered well that mother nature takes her time and you need to let things heal.  Unfortunately there is no real way to speed healing other than taking all of the antibiotics, eating well, definitely not smoking, and allowing the body to heal.  Once the infection is fully resolved and the inflammation has resolved is the time to go back in to put a new implant in.  If you do it too quickly you risk losing yet another implant and an even longer recovery.  Sorry to hear you are going through this.   My best advise is to have very close followup with your surgeon.  Close, open dialogue is needed between the two of you and you need to look at this as a partnership to get through this tough time.  Good luck!

What is the best way to speed up replacement of an implant after infection?

Thank you for your question.  I'm sorry to hear about your infection and surgery.  There are rarely short cuts in medicine that are beneficial.  One's body needs to heal after surgery and after infection.  Sometimes this can take longer than we expect or anticipate.  One cannot rush mother nature or else be at risk for further complications.  Even if one expects the infection to be resolved in a specific time and be ready for replacement one must realize that the human body may not always be on that same time schedule.  For some it can take six weeks to six months or longer before an attempt at replacement is considered.  The best option is to follow your doctor's instructions and be patient.  Good luck.

David J. Wages, MD
Peabody Plastic Surgeon