How to lighten scars from BA. Also what exactly do biodermis silicone sheets do to the scar?

I had BA at the beginning of August. My scars now are dark and I remember my scars from first BA were super dark even year after surgery. I know it's been only couple months since second surgery and my scars will fade more with time but I wonder what creams are good to lighten scars. I have been using biodermis silicone sheets for about a month now But do silicone sheets lighten scars or do they just make them more flat and smooth? What do you recommend for scar lightening. Thank you

Breast Augmentation - Scar Care

Thank you for your question and congratulations on your recent surgery. I instruct all of my patients to perform daily scar massage and apply a silicone based scar ointment or tape to their incisions. Biocorneum makes an excellent product. Please ask your board certified plastic surgeon for specific instructions regarding his or her scar management protocol. Hope this helps!

Scar Treatment

There may be a number of different products or treatments that your aesthetician will recommend for lightening in the future, if needed, however silicone sheeting worn daily for approximately 4-6 months is usually sufficiently aggressive for my patients. I also advise that you avoid sun-exposure/tanning on your scar for at least a year.

All the best

Dark Scars after Breast Augmentation

Good morning.

At 2 months a darker scar (post inflammatory hyper-pigmentation) can be quite common, especially if you have tanned skin to begin with. Your experience with your previous augmentation should be reassuring, for as you know these things tend to fade with time.

Regarding lightening of a scar, at this point it would be safe for you to start a hydroquinone based agent (perhaps also containing a mild steroid). Likely your Plastic Surgeon has something to recommend for you.

Silicone gel sheeting might be of some benefit to keep the scars flat - but they won't have an appreciable effect on pigment.

Best of luck with your recovery.

Dr Nodwell

Trefor Nodwell, MD
Ottawa Plastic Surgeon

Scar care after breast augmentation

You are on the right track by using the silicone sheeting.  You can also use products such as Bio-Oil.  If the scars are pigmented, then you may want to add some 4% hydroquinone to your scar regimen.  This is a prescription item so your PS will have to prescribe it for you.  Don't waste your money on over-the-counter hydroquinone products.  They don't do much because the formulation is too weak.

Lightening of scars.

Thanks for your question. Often time and patience are the best treatment, but you can ask your PS about a bleaching agent. I am a big fan of scar massage for flatness.  Silicone sheeting under pressure is well described to treat burn wounds, but its relevance in cosmetic surgery is variable. Silicone is unlikely to lighten the scars. Your PS will likely have his or her own regimen so give your ps a call.

Adam Tattelbaum, MD
Washington DC Plastic Surgeon