Why are my breast implants so small and flat? (Photo)

Few days ago I had my BA. I was TOTALLY flat (like a boy), never had kids, my skin was tight, my chest frame is tiny so the doctor decided to do high profile round silicone implants under the muscle. I wanted 400cc but they didn't fit and doctor used 300cc. However even after BA, I look like I have no breast. Why is that? Is it going to change when they drop? Also, if I want to get bigger implants in few months how sure can I be that my skin will stretch more if it didn't want to stretch now.

Small breasts after breast augmentation

Congratulations on your recent breast augmentation. Often flat chest women with minimal skin coverage appear very flat chested after surgery.  As your skin was quite tight before your surgery it will take time for it to relax and adjust to the shape of the implants and so will look a little flat initially.  If your implants were placed under the muscle it will take time for the muscle to relax and your implants to soften. You are in the very early days of your post operative recovery and swelling at this stage will also mask the new shape of your breasts.  Be patient it will be a few months before you begin to see results.

Breast Augmentation Recovery

Hi there, thanks for posting your photos and congratulations on your recent procedure. You are far too early in your recovery to judge your results. I suggest waiting until you are healed, and then addressing any issues with your surgeon directly. Best to you. -Dr. Coan

Brian Coan, MD, FACS
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Early post operative breast augmentation

In general, flat chested women get submuscular breast augmentation. Odds are your implants were placed this way. It will take some time for the chest wall muscles to relax and allow the implants to assume their final position. Be patient and follow up with your surgeon as recommended.

Flat chested women with tight skin often look flat in the early postop period. Once the tissue relaxes and stretches, they will look more normal. I would wait at least 6 months before deciding on larger implants to give your tissue time to completely relax and for you to have time to get used to your new size before deciding on whether or not to go larger.

Why are my implants so small and flat

you are very early in the post operative course. All the tissues appear swollen, so it takes time to see the definition of the breast and implant. Give things some time. If after time has passed, the tissues may be more accepting of a larger implant.

Rick Rosen, MD
Norwalk Plastic Surgeon

Implant appearance

At such a short time after surgery, it is too early to see the final results.  Best of luck with your results.

Implants

Thank you for your question and photos.  The answer to your question is that it has only been a few days since your procedure.  You need to give yourself several months before assess the final result or consider a revision.  Around the three month mark, if you are still dissatisfied, please voice your displeasure with your operating surgeon.

Dr. Results
Miami, FL

Why are my breast implants so small and flat?

Congratulations on having undergone the breast augmentation   procedure. You should be aware that a significant percentage of patients at your stage of recovery will feel that they are too big or (more commonly) too small. I routinely ask my patients to wait at least 3-6 months before evaluating the end results of the breast augmentation surgery. This waiting time allows patients to (usually) physically and psychologically adapt to the new body image.

From the physiological standpoint, it takes many months ( and even up to one year) to see the final results of surgery. factors such as swelling, tissue contraction, skin redraping, implant shifting etc. come into play. You may be pleasantly surprised wants to be "drop and fluff" phenomenon has occurred. You may also be happier once the swelling AROUND the breast implants dissipates and the implants' shape and projection become more visible.  Patients often report that they are happier with the cleavage area once these changes occur also.

From the psychological standpoint, patients undergo an “adaptation period" during which time they get used to the changes that the surgical procedure has brought about. Severe emotional swings can also occur after any type of surgical procedure.
In your case, I would suggest continued patience and continued close follow-up with your plastic surgeon.