23 yrs old. How long will it take for me to fully recover and go back to normal activities after having a breast augmentation?

I plan on getting a BA on Friday. However, I am a little nervous because I am not sure what to expect. The doctor told me I will be having an incision through the nipple behind the muscle with a saline implant. Also, are there specific foods I should avoid after having this surgery? I am so an athlete I play soccer and that involves physical contact. How long will it take for me to go back to playing again?

Activity return after breast augmentation

Your plastic surgeon will give you specific recommendations following surgery.  Each surgeon has different protocols.  In my experience most patients following breast augmentation will be able to resume all activities in the 4-6 week range.  Keep in mind that the body repairs itself in 9-12 months following surgery with respect to scar maturation and collagen remodeling.  Does that mean you should wait that long? Absolutely not.  However the body does take longer than most patients think to repair the tissues disrupted with surgery.  Bottom line is follow your surgeon's advice.

Best Dr. L

Breast augmentation

I usually allow patients to go back to light aerobic activities within 3-4 weeks and heavy exertion within about 6-8 weeks.

Breast Augmentation

Good luck with your surgery Friday.

You should follow your surgeons instructions.  Asking all of us about our post operative instructions will not change your surgeons recommendations.  That being said, I have my submuscular breast augmentation patients return to the gym after 4 weeks.  You are certainly not 100% at that time, and it will take weeks-months to get back to where you were.

Best of luck.

Dr. T

Douglas Taranow, DO, FACOS

Breast Augmentation Recovery

It is best to follow your surgeons specific instructions.Most patients can resume normal  activity in 4 to 6 weeks. Talk with your surgeon regarding his/her restrictions. Best of luck!

Breast augmentation recovery

you should follow the instructions of your board certified plastic surgeon.  Generally most of us say no strenuous activity or lifting more than 5-10 lbs for 3-4 weeks after surgery.  Intense activity like soccer may be 4-6 weeks depending on how you are healing and feeling.  However most women are back to their normal daily activities within a week.  Good luck!!

Recovering After a Breast Augmentation

Thank you very much for your question and congratulations on your upcoming breast augmentation. After surgery, you may be tender and sore for several days. Postpone exercise and strenuous activities, including soccer, for four to six weeks. Heavy lifting should be avoided during this time, as well. There are no diet restrictions after the breast augmentation, although soft, bland foods may be easiest on your stomach for the first day or two. If you have any further concerns, I suggest that you contact your operating surgeon.

Paul Vitenas, Jr., MD

Breast augment recovery

Patients typically return to work in one week and resume physical activity in 4-6 weeks, depending on the healing.  That said, soccer is a contact sport and I would advise you to refrain from this for 6-8 weeks.  There are no food restrictions . If you take any over the counter products, these should be discussed with your plastic surgeon as they can effect bleeding, anesthesia, etc.

Post op breast activities

Every surgeon has different post op restrictions. Check with your surgeon prior to surgery, so you can plan your recovery.

For a non physical job patients are usually back to work by a week and a half. If it is a more physical job then it is about a two week return to work.

As far as soccer, I would probably recommend that you take off two months.

Good luck, you will do great!

Ryan Hoffman, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

BA recovery and sports

Thank you for your question, and I wish you a speedy recovery! It is best to discuss with your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon his/her specific recommendations as far as return to activity. The recovery after BA surgery varies widely from patient to patient as well as their level of discomfort during this time. Generally, the first 4-7 days are reserved for rest and overall recovery, and after that patients can slowly work their way back with gradual low risk activities. I prefer to wait at least 6-8 weeks for repetitive upper body lifting/movements and arm use so that the muscles, skin incisions and breast tissues have had adequate time to heal and settle before being stressed. The recovery routine will best be determined by your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon so be sure to touch base with him/her on their specific recommendations.

Benjamin J. Cousins MD

Benjamin J. Cousins, MD
Miami Beach Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation

It is important for you to consult with your surgeon about any questions or concerns you may have seeing as every surgeon has a slightly different post-operative protocol. 
I don’t recommend my patients engaging in any activities that include weight bearing/ resistance or contact sports before 6 weeks. Lower body exercises can be resumed around 4 weeks post op but just remember to ease back into your regular fitness routine as it may take some time getting back to your prior strength. In regards to foods, you are not restricted in this area but it is always advised to eat a high protein and overall healthy, well-balanced diet. Best of luck in your recovery!
Sincerely,

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon