Just had Botox this week. How many months should I wait until trying to conceive?

Botox and Pregnancy/Breastfeeding

Thanks for your question. This is a question that we get asked often by our patients.

After being treated with Botox, there is no reason to wait if your trying to conceive a baby. I would not get injected while you are pregnant or breastfeeding as this could lead to problems and is not recommended by the FDA.

Calgary Dermatologist

Botox

Thank you for your inquiry!

There is no specified time to wait after getting Botox injected! To maintain Botox it is recommended to touch up every three-four months. I recommend that you do not get injected once you are pregnant.

Good luck!

Cory Torgerson, MD, PhD, FRCSC
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Try to conceive now

After being treated with Botox, there is no reason to wait trying to conceive a baby. I would not get injected while you are pregnant though. Good luck!

Botox

Thanks for your question. There is no known waiting time for these two factors. If you are interested in having Botox please visit a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.

Dr. Results
Miami, FL

Botox and pregnancy

There is no reason to wait at all after Botox to conceive.  The Botox would not affect the pregnancy or the baby and in fact the Botox itself is long gone

Melvin Elson, MD
Nashville Dermatologist

Botox and pregnancy

Botox can last up to 4 or 6 months in the body.  I would consult with your obstetrician to find out what the exact length of time they recommend.  Botox is contraindicated in nursing or pregnant women.

Pregnancy after Botox

There is no reason to wait because of Botox. There is no reason to believe that a small amount of Botox you just had for cosmetic purposes would affect the conception.

Edwin Ishoo, MD
Cambridge Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox and trying to conceive

Hello Dbmarie,

Congratulations on the planned life event.  When it comes to Botox, it is contraindicated to be used in pregnant women and nursing mothers.  However, you are neither of these. You are only thinking of getting pregnant.

The Botox itself will work for about 3 months but not because it is still moving around your body and could affect the fetus but rather because it is already in its location.  I have never seen a particular study but there is no warning on the box or from the FDA to avoid getting pregnant once Botox has been given (some drugs do require the patient to be on birth control such as Accutane).  Based on the lack of warnings from the FDA and manufacturer it should be safe to conceive now.  If you want to be 100% sure then you could wait until the Botox wore off or ask your Ob/Gyn physician. 

I hope this helps and good luck. 

William Marshall Guy, MD
The Woodlands Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox and pregnancy

The FDA has a warning against receiving Botox when pregnant or trying to conceive.  There are no specific guidelines with how long to wait before conceiving, and the information we have from the manufacturer is that it is NOT KNOWN whether Botox can have an effect on an unborn baby.

Since we know Botox usually lasts 3-4 months, and in some rare cases up to 6 months, we tell our patients in the practice to wait 6 months or more before trying to get pregnant, to be safe, but you should ask your doctor to be sure since you are probably not our patients (we would have discussed it if you'd been a patient).

To be sure, many women over the years have become accidentally pregnant while on Botox, and there's little evidence to my knowledge that their babies have had any problems related to Botox, but this is an unclear area and patients should respect the warning.