What are the risks and benefits of total body lift with an Ehlers-Danlos patient?

I have EDS, type II, and have lost over 300 lbs. As a result, I have lots of excess skin and some areas of "fat pockets" that won't reduce no matter how much weight I lose. To make matters worse, these areas in the "saddlebags" regions and hanging over my knees are contributing to patellar dislocation frequently as well as back pain. I was in a wheelchair for two years and I don't want to go back to that.

Body lifting - Massive weight loss in patient with Ehlers Danlos

Thank you for asking about your body lifting.
  • I am so glad you have lost so much weight -
  • As an ED patient, your skin will not have good elasticity
  • You can have whatever body lifting you need - but you need to be prepared to have a second round of surgery as skin may loosen further.
  • See a plastic surgeon and plan your surgery - you defintiely want to address the areas affecting your ability to walk as soon as your reasonably can.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS