What treatment is best for reducing the appearance of a previously reconstructed scar? (photo)

When I was 7 years old I was bitten by a dog right above my right eye. Leaving a small scar both above and bellow my eyebrow. Once arrived to the hospital they performed reconstructive or "plastic surgery" as my parents called it. But now at 22, it seems more noticeable each year.. Taking a tole on my confidence. HELP me. What do I do?

Doctor Answers 4

Surgical Scars Can Be Improved With Subcision And Fractional Microneedle Therapy

First, let me say that I am sorry that you are going through this. I find that post-surgical scars, resulting from trauma or the treatment of traumatic wounds, responds quite nicely to a combination of treatments that include subcision, with or without the addition of a biostimulatory filler, and fractional medical microneedle therapy. Unfortunately, I have been disappointed with the results of fractional lasers, radiofrequency treatments and other energy-based modalities for dealing with scars.

Briefly, subcision, which is performed using only local anesthesia, involves the use of a needle-like cutting device to break up the scar tissue below that is tethering the surface of the skin downward. This allows the surface tissue to float upward, while promoting neocollagenesis (new, native collagen production) to act as a platform below it. If necessary, a small amount of bio-stimulatory filler, such as Radiesse, may be injected to yield more immediate aesthetic results and to help the new collagen synthesis process along.

Finally, as is not uncommon with scars of all kinds, the surface of the scar will likely require fractional microneedle therapy to help to better blend the surface of the scar with the surrounding normal skin. For more information on these simple, quick, and relatively inexpensive treatments, please check out the Realself.com archives.

Consultation and treatment by a board certified aesthetic physician with expertise and experience with all forms of scar treatment methods is essential for a gratifying outcome.

New York Dermatologic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 29 reviews

What treatment is best for reducing the appearance of a previously reconstructed scar?

As seen in the posted photo the result is acceptable. I might try "micro derma rolling with PRP infusion therapy"...

Darryl J. Blinski, MD
Miami Plastic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 173 reviews

Scar Treatments

You can get improvement with laser, subcision, and filler treatments to the scar.  It will take a series.  Nothing will remove it completely but the treatments can make the appearance much better.  I would seek a dermatologist or plastic surgeon with experience in treating scars with lasers.  I wish you the best of luck, Dr. Emer.

Jason Emer, MD
Los Angeles Dermatologic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 190 reviews

What treatment is best for reducing the appearance of a previously reconstructed scar?

Sorry to hear about your concerns. It is a little difficult to tell exactly how the scar looks because the pic is a little dark but rest assured that your concerns can likely be addressed and the appearance of the scar improved.  Although there is no treatment to remove scars perse, there are some treatments to improve them. I suggest seeking out a board certified plastic surgeon in your area with experience in scar management and lasers for help.  I typically offer my patients a series of laser treatments spaced about 1 month apart which tends to help quite a bit.  I usually start with 6 treatments and continue from there if my patients continue to see improvements with each treatment.  You should make sure to wear a daily sunscreen on the site as well because sun is terrible for scars.  If this is unsatisfactory or there is uneveness to the tissue I will offer scar revision where the old scar is cut out and a new nicer scar is made and then again laser treatments after healing is complete.  Good luck!

Megan Jack, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 15 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.