Best Treatment for Under Eye Circles? (photo)

I've always had under eye dark circles - I'm only 22, no matter how well I sleep, how well I eat they're always there, sometimes not even concealer gets rid of the. Is there a permanent or at least long lasting solution I could use? Thank you!

Doctor Answers 2

Tear Trough Deformity Treatment

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

There are a number of different factors that can cause under eye darkness or hollowness (also known as tear trough deformity).These include but are not limited to heredity, allergies or getting older. Based on your photo, it appears that you would be a good candidate for tear trough treatment. During tear trough treatment, I inject a small amount of filler (such as Restylane or Belotero) directly under the eye to fill in the hollow area and reduce darkness.Tear trough treatment lasts approximately 12-18 months. I perform all injections with a microcannula (as opposed to a needle) which greatly reduces bruising. A longer lasting option would be fat transfer, but I recommend filler treatment first and if you are not happy with the maintenance or result consider fat transfer.I hope this helps.

Pittsburgh Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 50 reviews

Under I Circles in the Young

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

It appears that she have a type of congenital "tear trough."  This is due to the attachment of the muscle around the eye to the bone above a prominent zygomaticus (one of the cheek muscles).  The most reasonable approach to this is with a filler.  This can be something like Belotero or fat.  The Belotero generally lasts a couple of years in this location.  You could start with this, and, if the results are good, use fat when the effect of the Belotero wears off.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.