Facelift in December 2015. Why would my neck look this way? (Photo)

Why would my neck look this way and why would I still have jowls? Facelift in December. Help

Talk to Your Surgeon

I’m sorry that your facelift results aren’t all that you hoped for. It does appear that your facelift was insufficient, and that you still have some jowling and an issue going on beneath your chin. It is difficult to speculate on what may have happened without knowing exactly what your surgeon did and without an in-person evaluation. Possibilities include residual fluid that may have pooled in the neck, fatty tissue that your surgeon may not have removed, sagging submandibular glands, or simply loose skin or muscle that was left unaddressed in your procedure. I would recommend returning to the surgeon who performed your facelift to see what he or she can do to improve your results. Best of luck to you.

Facelift in December 2015. Why would my neck look this way?

Dear Reneegail: There are many variations of facelifts, (mini, mid, lower, cheek and neck, full facelift etc.) From the photos, it appears that the neck either collected fluid from edema or had some residual blood that became organized after the lift, or possible wasn't addressed at all. Neck liposuction is usually included with a lower face lift or cheek and neck lift, so it shouldn't be residual fatty tissue unless it wasn't addressed. Residual fluid or "organized fluid" can be addressed with a single or combination of therapies. Discuss your concerns with your surgeon. There are solutions available.

John Standefer MD

Unsatisfactory Results Need Revision

It's difficult to understand exactly what went wrong without knowing exactly what your surgeon did. As other doctors have said, it's possible that your surgeon performed only liposuction on your neck without removing loose skin. To clarify this, it's a good idea to see your plastic surgeon and asking specifically about the technique used in your procedure. From there, you can decide how to proceed. You'll likely get the results you want from a revision that addresses the skin on your neck. I wish you luck in your revision.

Surgeon May Have Only Used Liposuction on the Neck

You may have had a "less aggressive" lift, which left behind excess skin. The neck is often addressed with only liposuction, and the skin does not contract sufficiently and evenly. Tightening from the cheek area or the area behind the ears may not have been sufficient to fully reduce the excess in the neck region. If the neck is not directly addressed, then recurrence of the excess and contour deformities can recur more quickly. I would recommend speaking with your surgeon about the problem.

It is hard to say without any examination.  However my guess would be that liposuction was done to remove fat from underneath the chin but no attempt was made to tighten the neck skin.  I suggest she see her surgeon for an explanation.  Your neck and lower face certainly needs to be revised..

Problems in Neck 5 Months Post Facelift

You do have problems but without an examination and knowing what was done any attempt to answer your question would be speculation. Consult with your surgeon; if you do not get a satisfactory explanation and suggestions for treatment get a second opinion from another specialist in facial rejuvenation.

Neck issue

I appreciate the photo, but is the neck skin soft or firm?  That would make a difference. If it is firm, fibrosis can occur.  This can take many months to settle and sometimes ultrasound can help.  If it is loose skin, this can happen in some individuals for a variety of reasons including technique and poor skin quality.

Neck

reneegail, we are all guessing based on a single photo without the benefit of an exam. I would guess that you had too much fat removed and/or you had an organized hematoma. See an experienced specialist that does "only faces". You will need a complete revision of your neck but I would make you wait one year. Good luck!

M. Sean Freeman, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Unhappy Facelift Patient

Hello and thank you for sharing your question and photo on RealSelf.com.

I would almost have to think based on your photo that you did not have a neck lift as part of your facelift.  A facelift could be defined differently by doctors.  Maybe you had a cheek lift only or some type of mini facelift.  If you had a neck lift, then either you had a complication like fluid or blood formation in the neck or the neck was not addressed properly.

I would advise you talk with your surgeon or see other experienced plastic surgeons for their opinions.

Dr Spies

Robert J. Spies, MD
Paradise Valley Plastic Surgeon

Neck

a facelift does not always include your neck. It appears your neck muscle was not tightened and maybe the surgeon only tightened your skin not the underlying tissue. 

Deborah Sillins, MD
Cincinnati Plastic Surgeon