What can be done to correct wide set, asymmetrical breasts? (Photo)

I am 22 years old, 6 years post pregnancy. I have both wide set, asymmetrical breasts. The right breast is a small A cup, and the left is a large A, almost B. Currently, I wear a 36 B or A depending on the type. Push up bras don't really work as there isn't much to push on the one side. I end up looking larger than I am and the asymmetry is more pronounced. I do still hope to breast feed future kid(s) at some point after any procedure.

Asymmetric Breast Augmentation

Thank you for your question and photo. Breast Implants should not affect your ability to breast feed in the future- provided that you could regardless. Talk with your Plastic Surgeon about incision routes which limit risk factors. You could certainly consider two, differently- sized breast implants to help balance your breast volumes. The wide-spacing will not change but you could certainly improve size, balance and shape with breast implants. I recommend that you book an in-person consultation with a board certified Plastic Surgeon. They will measure your breast carefully and recommend options for you.
All the best

What can be done to correct wide set, asymmetrical breasts?

A breast lift on the larger lower breast and breast implants on both sides should give you a nice result. The width or spread of your breasts s determined by the width of your breast bone. Adding volume (implants) will help cleveage but not significantly narrow the gap. See below for more on breast asymmetry:

Wide set breast

Breast implants with different size implants placed in each breast would help correct your asymmetry.Your right nipple sits very lateral and it remain lateral after implants placed. Implants will help even out the size but not you nipple position

Deborah Sillins, MD
Cincinnati Plastic Surgeon

Breast Asymmetry Post Pregnancy?

It is not unusual for women to have quite a difference in size between their breasts.  It is more common than you would think.  In your situation, undergoing a differential breast augmentation, where the implants dimensions are tailored for each side, would work well for you.  With so many different implants available these days, it is easy to tailor the result to what you need and achieve very good symmetry.  The best thing to do is to go for a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon who does a lot of breast work and see what is recommended.  I hope this helps.

Breast Asymmetry

Believe it or not but most every women's breasts are not equal in size. Yours can be corrected simply with a breast augmentation. Since you are 22 years old, you can qualify for silicone implants per the FDA. I believe this would give you the nicest result for enhancement and at same time differential implants would be used to try to "match" you up. We like to do 3D imaging and that allows you to see what can be done so you can see your intended final result. In your situation I do not feel future pregnancies should be a problem to maintain your result. 

Scott R. Brundage, MD
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon

Implant procedure + fat injection

Thanks for your photo. In my opinion you will benefit from an implant procedure with gel filled anatomical implants. The symmetry can be corrected with fat injection on your right breast as based on your photo you are also a good candidate for liposuction. After this procedures you will not have any problem for future breast feeding. Please consult with a board certified plastic surgeon.Good luck...

Ozge Ergun, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation to correct asymmetrical breasts

A breast augmentation should enhance the size of your breasts. To fix asymmetry, different sized implant will have to be used.

The implant sizes will have to be determined during an in-person consultation where breast measurements such as breast width, amount of breast skin stretch, nipple to breast fold distance under maximal stretch among many others will be taken. The combination of these measurements will help determine tissue coverage and the required implant volume to optimally fill the breasts. For example, if your breast base is very wide, we will require a higher implant volume with a lower-profile to avoid the “rock in a sock” appearance.

The profile of the implant tells you how much the implant protrudes or sticks out in the forward direction. The profile influences how much the overlying breast skin is stretched. For a given implant volume (e.g., 300 cc), a low profile implant will be wider, and provide less augmentation; a moderate would be less wide and provide more augmentation; a high profile implant would be least wide, and provide the most augmentation. If your breasts are wide, a low or moderate profiled implant will be required. 

When you have a consultation, you should share all your concerns and goals with complete honesty. You may do bra-sizing trials with different sized implants once your surgeon selects a suitable range for you.

I would also suggest that you get a partially submuscular breast augmentation because according to the photo, you lack sufficient breast tissue to hide and cover the implant. This will be important to avoid visible rippling.

Furthermore, I would also suggest insertion of the implant through the inframammary incision as it seems there is a mild constriction in your right breast. Once the constriction is released, the implants will be able to better provide shape and enhancement to the breasts. Constrictions can best be fixed using the inframammary incisions.

Because of the constriction, you may even opt for a dual plane breast augmentation where the lower portion of the implant is directly behind the breast tissue to varying degrees, and the upper portion is behind the pectoralis major muscle. This approach can still add fullness and a rounder look to deflated breasts.

Just like any other surgery, there are risks with breast augmentation. However, problems with breast feeding is less of a concern for breast augmentation compared to a breast lift unless it is peri-areolar breast augmentation where the implant is placed through the region around the nipple. In breast augmentation through the inframammary incision, there will be very minimal manipulation or damage to the breast tissue, and as such, the milk ducts will not be harmed. I urge you to have an in-person consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon for more information. An in-person breast exam would provide a more accurate surgical plan. Hope this helps!

Martin Jugenburg, MD