Should I do a tummy tuck after pregnancy or liposuction before pregnancy?

Im 25 & always been overweight. However, since I got married 6 years ago, I've gained and lost quite a bit. At my highest weight I was 265. Now I am 220. I am still working on losing more weight but want to get pregnant. Should I get liposuction done on my stomach and back then get pregnant or should I wait until after the baby and get a tummy tuck? I'm not sure how I feel about going that invasive but I'd love the body I would get. How long after lipo can I get pregnant? What do you suggest?

The ideal candidate for liposuction/tummy tuck will be close to their target weight.

It’s important to keep in mind that liposuction/tummy tuck procedures aren’t intended for weight loss, but as a means of eliminating small pockets of exercise-resistant fat and removing excess abdominal skin. It’s recommended that a person achieves his or her weight loss goals prior to having these procedures done. In your case, you’ll also want to keep in mind that you may need a second procedure following your pregnancy to address any changes that an additional child will likely have on your results. I recommend that you wait until after your pregnancy to seek plastic surgery.

Before or after pregnancy

If you want to dramatically improve your mid-section, a tummy tuck would be more suitable than liposuction. Fluctuations in weight (nice job on losing so much weight, by the way!) can lead to skin laxity, and liposuction will not correct this. A tummy tuck can be performed, at the earliest, 6 months after giving birth or stopping breastfeeding-whichever is the latest.

Weight loss before surgery, some advices:

Thank you very much for this interesting and important question.

Try to lose weight before a surgical procedure its a very delicate matter, since in many cases a restrictive diet can cause problems, such as anemia, electrolyte disturbances, decreased protein, etc ... retarding the healing process and damaging the surgery.
For these reasons, if your purpose is to lose weight, i recommend you have a BMI less or equal to 30.
In this regard, you must to have a support with a nutritionist, so you can achieve the desired goal, in the most healthy way, without incressing complications risks in the plastic surgery to perform.

Kind regards,
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Tummy tuck after pregnancy

Thank you for your question. In your case i would suggest to wait until after pregnancy, then depending on how your body have changed you can make a better decision. Normally a tummy tuck would be the right option. You definitely have to choose your surgeon correctly and make sure that he/she has the training and experience to meet your goals with absolute safety. Don’t settle for less than a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon with specialized expertise in this procedure. 

Liposuction versus tummy tuck

Definitely wait until after pregnancy to have any contouring work done. You will most likely need a tummy tuck, given your story. Please see the attached video to help you better understand the difference between the two, and white tummy tuck is usually a better option.Best of luck!
Dr. Subbio
Board-Certified Plastic Surgeon
Newtown Square/Philadelphia, PA

Christian Subbio, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Surgical options

Thank you for your questions.  If your weight is not stable, I would not recommend any type of cosmetic surgery.  Since you are planning on getting pregnant in the future, I'd recommend you wait on all body contouring until you are done having children.  At that point, if your weight is stable and BMI is below 30, I'd recommend a tummy tuck with or without lipo.  Hope this helps.  To be sure, consult with a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss your options.

Tummy tuck before pregnancy

Hi there, thank you for your question. So from what I understand, You have been married for six years and are looking to get pregnant. After liposuction, it takes around three months to see results and then if you are going through this procedure you might want to enjoy the new body before pregnancy takes over. The decision is yours but given all this and if you're looking to get pregnant soon  I would recommend to go ahead with that and then plan your tummy tuck or liposuction after.
Good luck !

Shwetambara Parakh, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for the question. I would suggest you avoid all elective plastic surgery until after pregnancy.  Given your history of weight gain/loss and planned pregnancies, it is most likely that you will be a good candidate for tummy tuck surgery once pregnancies have been completed.  I would not waste your time/resources on liposuction surgery at this point.

Generally speaking, the “ideal” patient for tummy tuck surgery is one who has completed pregnancies, is psycho socially/emotionally/financially stable, has an excellent social support system surrounding him/her, is capable of arranging enough recovery time, does not smoke and who has reached a long-term stable weight.
When the time is right, seek consultation with board-certified plastic surgeons who can demonstrate significant experience helping patients achieve the types of outcomes you would be pleased with.  You may find the attached link, dedicated to tummy tuck surgery concerns, helpful to you as you learn more. Best wishes as you work towards all your goals.

Cosmetic surgery before or after pregnancy

The answer to your question depends upon your aesthetic goals.  If you want the best possible results, wait until after childbirth to have surgery.  However, if you want to remove some excess fat now liposuction would most likely be fine and you can then get the tummy tuck later.

Thank you for your question!

Dr. Schreiber, Baltimore plastic surgeon

Lipo

Congratulations on loosing 45lbs :) Liposuction is not a substitute for weight loss, but it does help patients to be more motivated in loosing weight. 

I have a number of patients who are in the process of loosing weight. I would perform a procedure i.e. Lipo suction of an area. After surgery the patient loves the results and becomes more motivated to loose more weight. After the patient looses more weight I perform another procedure and the process repeats itself. 

The patients tell me that it becomes easier for them to loose weight after each procedure because they are happier with their figure and they become more motivated in leading a healthy lifestyle.

I would reccomend you being evaluated by a board certified plastic surgeon in regards to liposuction. Depending on your evaluation with the board certified plastic surgeon, you could be a good candidate for liposuction before pregnancy. I would reccomend that you wait till after having children before having a tummy tuck. I invented the Malibu tummy tuck.

For more information I have attached a video about liposuction. We do offer complimentary consultations (813) 872-2696. I hope you find this information useful. 

Joshua Halpern, MD, PA