What option is best to rejuvenate my hands? (Photo)

I am 34 years old and my hands are very aged. My hands have lost their smoothness and are quite wrinkled. In addition, when I squeeze and pull the skin on my knuckles, it tents for a while before going back to its original position. If I go outside in the cold without gloves, my fingers look shrivel and very skinny. What procedure should I get in order to replace the volume in my fingers as well as the rest of my hands to make them look youthful again?

Hand Rejuvenation Treatment: IPL Laser

Hi Jahrscott,

Great question! As we age, our skin begins to lose its natural collagen. Collagen consists of nutrients that keep the skin looking and feeling its best. With time, we start to notice dark spots and wrinkles that cannot naturally repair themselves. The IPL Laser treatment is a long-lasting procedure used to effectively treat visible signs of sun damage and aging skin on the face, neck, chest, hands and arms. IPL technology works into underlying layers of the skin, stimulating the production of new collagen. The new collagen can fill in wrinkles, adding volume to your hand. The IPL treatment helps reduce the appearance of wrinkles, and smooths uneven skin tone and texture, allowing a youthful glow to the skin.

Hope this answers your question :)

- Dr. Dale

Beverly Hills Physician

Hand Rejuvenation Treatment: IPL Laser

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Hi Jahrscott,

Hope this answers your question :)

- Dr. Dale

Beverly Hills Physician

Aging Hands

Since you are most upset about the texture and dark spots on your hands, I would recommend treatments such as glycolic peels or IPL (laser treatments to reduce brown spots).  You could also consider micro-needling, which improves texture and stimulates collagen production.  You would likely need to do a series of any of these treatments in order to achieve good results. 

It is also important to use good products on our hands because they receive so much environmental exposure.  Be sure to always remember that your hands need sunscreen and that it needs to be reapplied frequently.  Products such as topical Vitamin C and hydroquinone will help to lighten the brown spots.  A mild retinol can be used at night in order to help with the texture.

Fillers can work beautifully in the hands, but are used to restore volume.  They will not help with discoloration or poor texture. 

Aging Hands

Hand Rejuvenation

I do not see a role for filler or fat transfer in your case. You are bothered by the the texture and discoloration. Microneedling, light peels, photorejuvenation, are some of the procedures which will reduce the laxity the discoloration. The use of hand creams containing hydroquinone and good moisturizer can further improve the results . You should also use sunblock regularly.

Anca Tchelebi-Moscatello, MD
Mount Kisco Hair Restoration Surgeon

Hand Rejuvenation

Anca Tchelebi-Moscatello, MD
Mount Kisco Hair Restoration Surgeon

Hand rejuvenation

Hi seen your pic of your hands regarding your concern of volume loss which can be improved by long lasting fillers,.for more longevity results soft tissue augmentation with autologous fat grafting will be a better option,to begin  with to use topical creams and sunscreen to protect from extrinsic ageing.

Hand rejuvenation

What option is best to rejuvenate my hands?

Radio frequency is the best current gold standard laser treatment for tightening of the skin. It is useful all over the body, fave and hands. 

Manjula Jegasothy, MD
Miami Dermatologist

Manjula Jegasothy, MD
Miami Dermatologist

Hand rejuvenation

The hands, just like the face, need care and attention. Since we often neglect to put sunblock on our hands they tend to age more rapidly. My recommendations for hand rejuvenation include: Radiesse injection for volume restoration. This filler is injected under the skin of the hands to help them look more volumized and youthful. It will help mask visible veins in the hands which become more prominent as we age. For the skin of the hand I would start with topical skincare products. You need to be vigilant with sunblock and reapply it throughout the day. Maintaining the moisture barrier of the hands is also important so make sure you moisturize them regularly. You might consider a heavy moisturizer at night and sleeping with cotton gloves on. Remember to treat your hands like your face. You can use your facial skincare products on your hands (or products designed exclusively for hands). The important things are  to minimize environmental exposure and improve the quality of the skin on the hands at your age. 

Allison Pontius, MD
Latham Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hand rejuvenation

Allison Pontius, MD
Latham Facial Plastic Surgeon

Aging hands

The response to cold raises the question whether you have a condition called Raynaud's disease which makes you more sensitive to cold. This may occur alone or be associated with collagen vascular disease. For Raynaud's cold avoidance is best. For simple measures for improving the appearance of your hands essential fatty acids such as flaxseed oil will add to the overall health of your skin and excipal hand cream from cvs will help.

Morris Westfried, MD
Long Island Dermatologic Surgeon

Aging hands

Morris Westfried, MD
Long Island Dermatologic Surgeon