If you rarely wash/wash very gently your hair after 14 days will the scabs loosen themselves?

I'm scared to interfere with the transplanted area and have been washing my hair once every two days very (very!) gently

It is best to ask your surgeon about post operative care as each doctor has their unique regimen.

It is best to ask your surgeon about post operative care as each doctor has their unique regimen. Gently washing your hair should loosen the scabbing.

Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Hair washing at 14 days

Many patients are nervous about washing their hair after the procedure.  You certainly do not want to pick the scabs.  Try soaking your head in the tub for 10-15 minutes and the scabs should loosen up and fall off.  I also allow my patients to stand under the shower head at 2 weeks.  If you stand under the water fore 10-15 minutes, that too, will loosen the scabs.

Justin Misko, MD
Lincoln Hair Restoration Surgeon

Crusts at 14 days

As I don't like the idea of anyone removing grafts that have scabs on them because we have published a paper in a formal medical journal, that when a person pulls off a scab (crust) from a recipient area in less than 12 days, the risk of losing the graft is very high. See the medical paper we wrote in a major journal below in the web reference that proves my point. Everyone having a hair transplant should follow the care I recommend below: Now let the shampoo sit on your head for 10 minutes each time you wash and gently rub the crusts until after each wash, more come off

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon