I'm 3 weeks post-op for my BA. My left looks like it is bigger than the right. Should I be worried?

My left side seems to be larger than my right. Could it be different healing times? I am worried that it won't even out in size when they drop. Both breasts don't seem to be anymore sore than the other. So I don't think it can be an infection. Is there any massages I can do to even out the size? Or will it even out slowly but surely on their own? I tried posting photos, but you cannot tell in any pictures that there is a size difference.

Left breast looks bigger than the right

Dear Teehuynh,

Thank you for your clinical post. Breast augmentation involves a significant amount of dissection either above the muscle or under the muscle and the insertion of an implant with swelling and edema. No two sides of the body heal at exactly the same rate and is extremely common to have significant and noticeable asymmetry in size and shape. Be assured that over time with gentle breast massage exercises (check with your operative surgeon if they are believers in breast massage therapy). The influences of gravity and the weight of the implant will allow the implants to settle into the pocket and become must softer. Any asymmetry and swelling that can be present due to asymmetrical pocket reaction to surgery and sleeping patterns will resolve over time. Generally, by 6-12 weeks both implants have settled and the pocket is softer and are more mobile and most significant asymmetry is due to surgical swelling have vanished.

Thus, most surgeons would recommend you might undergo an ultrasound of the breast to ensure there’s no fluid collection in the pocket, but assuming there’s no fluid in the pocket that the rest is just soft tissue swelling at such an early phase and that this will settle with time.

I’d follow-up with your operative plastic surgeon for they are in the best position to provide accurate advice having performed the surgery.

I’m sure you’ll get an excellent result and best of luck.

To find out more, please visit the link below.

R. Stephen Mulholland, M.D.
Certified Plastic Surgeon
Yorkville, Toronto

you for the question. You are still in
the post operation recovery stage. It is
not uncommon to feel numbness, hypersensitivity, pain, itchiness, and slight
abnormalities during this period. It
usually takes about 2-3 months for the wounds to heal and around 4-6 months for
the implants to fully settle.  However, It would always
be best to contact or visit your board-certified plastic surgeon and get a full assessment
for your concerns. Best of luck. Dr.
Michael Omidi. An
in-person exam with a board-certified plastic surgeon is the best way to assess
your needs and provide true medical advice.

Michael M. Omidi, MD, FACS

Implant issues

Each breast might drop at a different rate. If one looks much larger and they didn't start out that way, then perhaps you should see your surgeon.

One side is bigger at 3 weeks?

Generally speaking, there can be lots of variation between the breasts after augmentation for the first month or two.  They do not both soften and change at the same rate.  Usually an infection or hematoma would have associated symptoms that would prompt you to call your surgeon for an evaluation.  If you feel that the difference in size is worsening, a simple visit to your doctor's office could help alleviate your concerns.

David F. Klein, MD
Concord Plastic Surgeon

Breast Asymmetry After 3 Weeks

Asymmetric healing is very common especially at 3 weeks and hopefully will resolve with time. If there is a sudden or dramatic change, or you need reassurance, best to see your plastic surgeon.

John A. Perrotti, MD

Left breast larger than right

Hello and thank you for reaching out. Asymmetry can be expected during the post operative healing period, but 3 weeks is still very early to determine that your breasts have reached their final shape and size. Depending on the symmetry of your chest wall prior to surgery, it may take several weeks to allow all swelling to decrease and your final shape become apparent. If there is any question that there could be a possible hematoma or infection, I would follow up with your surgeon immediately. Best Wishes. 

One side seems bigger than the other

You are still quite early in the healing process and I would withhold judgement at this time, as significant changes will be seen over the next 2-3 months. Some asymmetry is to be expected - as perfect symmetry is impossible to obtain and does not exist in the normal population (or in the post-surgical population). I would recommend discussing your concerns with your surgeon at your next follow up. Good luck!

Breast augmentation - two different sizes

Thank you for asking about your breast augmentation.
  • You truly can't tell final size until the implants drop.
  • Almost every woman has some asymmetry - one side larger.
  • If the difference is not enough to show in a photo, it is likely to be normal.
  • I suggest you see your surgeon in  follow-up on or before 6 weeks, and have her/him check you and your before photos.
  • Then s/he can advise you if it will change with dropping, if it is normal for you or a bit of both.
  • Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes.

Significant asymmetry of the breasts after breast augmentation should be reported to your surgeon.

Almost all breast augmentation patients have some asymmetry after healing as part of the healing process. Significant asymmetry however should be reported to your surgeon as it may be a sign of a hematoma.

Asymmetric Swelling

Minor asymmetry between your breasts in the first two to three months post breast augmentation is normal.  Major differences or substantial briusing may indicate that you have bleeding or fluid collecting around the implant that need to be addressed urgently.  The fact that you say it is difficult to see in photographs leads me to believe it is normal post surgical swelling.  If you are concerned contact your surgeons office for a follow up appointment.  Best of luck

Raymond Jean MD Board Certified Plastic Surgeon  Bryn Mawr, Philadelphia PA

Raymond Jean, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon