is my vagina normal? (Photos)

My labia causes me pain and discomfort during sex, is there a way to fix this if so how and how much and how and whats wrong it it?

You are a great candidate for labiaplasty and clitoral hood reduction.  The total cost depends on the expertise of the surgeon and the location.  Be sure to choose a board certified plastic surgeon that specializes in Labiaplasty procedures.

Common complaints

While your anatomy is "normal", it does not mean that it cannot be improved, especially if intercourse is painful.  A labiaplasty with clitoral hood reduction would eliminate the excess "normal" tissue and eliminate the discomfort you feel with intercourse.

Jason J. Hall, MD, FACS
Knoxville Plastic Surgeon

Labiaplasty and clitoral hood reduction

I reviewed your photos. Your labia minora and clitoral hood are  enlarged but normal. A labiaplasty with a clitoral hood reduction can reduce your size.  However, it must be performed by a surgeon with experience. One of the two most common labiaplasty techniques is the central wedge technique, which I invented in 1995 and published in the plastic surgery textbooks. It is also known as the "V" or wedge technique. Gynecologists and most plastic surgeons perform a labioplasty very differently. They essentially trim the labia minora (inner vaginal lips) and leave a long suture line instead of the normal labial edge. Their technique is the same whether a scalpel or a laser is used. In contrast, the central wedge removes triangles of tissue and bring the normal edges together. Thus, the normal labial edges, normal color, and normal anatomy are preserved, but the darkest labial tissue is usually removed. If you have extra tissue on your clitoral hood, it can be reduced at the same time. Your clitoral hood is thick, wide, and protuberant.  It can be decreased somewhat by reducing the sides.  I pioneered a clitoropexy with clitoral hood reduction in which the clitoris is pushed closer to the pubic bone and the width, thickness, length, and protuberance of the clitoral hood can be decreased. I have done it over 250 times with excellent results.  No matter the technique, an inexperienced or unskilled surgeon can lead to a high rate of complications, chronic scar discomfort, labial deformities, and further surgery.

Gary J. Alter, M.D.
Beverly Hills, CA - Manhattan, NY

Gary J. Alter, MD

Robust labia cause pain...what to do..?!

Nothing's "wrong"with it. You have very normal labia that happen to be a bit on the "robust" and asymetric size. If this "bothers" you, you certainly would be a candidate for a functional and aesthetic labial /hood reduction at the hands of an experienced female genital plastic/aesthetic surgeon. This may be either a plastic, cosmetic, or cosmetic Gyn surgeon. Make certain that you see EVIDENCE of at least 25 "before and after" pics or evidence of training specific in aesthetic labial procedures. Do not see your Board Certified" general gynecologist as no plastic work is taught in any general gyn or urogyn residency. (this unfortunately is where the "botches" come from...)

The "fix" is an artistically performed linear or V-wedge modification labiaplasty + hood reduction. "Out-the-door" cost for your surgery in our offic in Davis, CA would be US$5500 including locl anesthesia (less any discounts, if applicable...)

Michael P Goodman, MD

Davis, CA, USA

Hyperplastic labia and pain

As a GYN reconstructive surgeon I would tell you that your vagina has a normal appearance. The labia appear larger than average and with that can sometimes cause discomfort with sexual activity, etc. Other causes should be ruled out. You may be a candidate for labiaplasty if that is the case. I recommend a women's health specialist with a focus and interest in reconstructive surgery, preferably board-certified in that subspecialty. Labiaplasty is usually a minor outpatient procedure with a high success rate and low complication rate, but outcomes are strongly associated with the expertise of the surgeon.

Labiaplasty Under Local Anaesthetic

Thank you for your question and picture.  Please make sure you find a reputable and qualified plastic surgeon who can assess you properly to give you a realistic idea of what outcome you can achieve.

The shape and colour of labia vary between individuals and it can grow and change after puberty, childbirth and with age. If the appearance of the labia concerns you and it affects your self-esteem and relationship then labiaplasty can reduce your labia to the desired size and shape to improve your self-confidence.

For some it’s a functional problem where the labia can get caught in clothing and makes it uncomfortable during cycling or horse riding. It can cause excess sweating, irritation and rash. Labiaplasty aims to improve the discomfort and hygiene and allow you to get on with your hobbies and activities.

Some can find intercourse and sexual relationship difficult due to the excessive size of the labia. This tends to not only lower their self-esteem and confidence but also cause intimacy issues due to the discomfort during sex, which can be overcome with a simple labiaplasty procedure.

Labiaplasty (Labia Reduction) is performed under local or general anaesthetic. Our cosmetic surgeons will listen to your concerns and needs and discuss the surgical options which best suit you.

During Labia reduction surgery, the excess tissue is removed to keep the size, shape and colour symmetrical and looking natural with scars hidden within the natural folds of skin, resulting in a defined and neatly shaped labia. For most patients, the surgery takes approximately 60 to 90 mins. The scars are virtually invisible and reduction in the size of the labia not only gives comfort in clothing and during sex but it can also improve the cosmetic appearance of the labia.

All The Best 

Amir Nakhdjevani, MBBS, MRCS, FRCS (Plast)
London Plastic Surgeon

Is my vagina normal?

Although there is a large variance of normal and therefore you are normal.   The fact that you are complaining of discomfort during intercourse and based on the photos you submitted, I would recommend a labiaplasty + clitoral hood reduction to get the desired final look you are seeking.

My staff will be happy to relay a quote to you and answer questions you may have.

Best of luck.

Thank you for your question and photographs.

I would recommend that you schedule a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon so they can perform a physical examination. If the hanging skin from your labia minora is causing you discomfort then I think you would benefit from a labiaplasty to remove that excess tissue along with a clitoral hood reduction. It is a simple procedure which can be performed in the office under local anesthesia with little down time. Best of luck in your endeavors!

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Do your labia get pulled uncomfortably during sex?

If your labia are getting pulled uncomfortably during sex, you have 2 options: use lube or consider labiaplasty. From your photo, you would require labiaplasty and clitoral hood contouring to make the final result look natural. Working on the hood requires significant expertise so don't hesitate to travel as far as you need to find a skilled surgeon. Feel free to email me privately for a quote.

Nothing's "wrong"

but your inner labia are enlarged. Usually this is genetic or hormonal related. A labiaplasty is a reduction technique that can "tuck in" the labia so they don't show or only minimally show outside of the outer labia. Find an expert at this. There are lots of doctors who offer it but very few who do enough to be experts at it. Look for reviews and photos.