Tummy tuck + breast reduction together? Safe practice ? (photos)

Is it safe to do tummy tuck and breast reduction + lift all in one shot ? I am terrified of surgery and being under. I even Opted out of all needles and drugs for 2 births. I would like to add that my breast reduction would be covered through Ohip so doing in one shot would help with the cost.

Safety of Mommy Makeover

For a healthy candidate, yes it is safe to undergo a tummy tuck with a breast reduction at lift all in one surgery. During a consultation and pre-op testing with your plastic surgeon, he/she will be able to confirm with you for sure whether or not you are a healthy candidate to undergo all of these procedures at once. 

Tummy tuck and breast reduction at once?

It is generally safe to undergo both procedures at once providing that your general health is sound and you are working with a board certified plastic surgeon who can demonstrate that he has performed this combination operation on many prior occasions. It should take about five hours. Plan to set aside sufficient time for recovery. Good luck with your recovery

Tad Grenga, MD, FACS
Norfolk Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck and breast reduction at the same time?

Thank you for asking about your tummy tuck and breast reduction.

• If your surgeon decides that your surgery can be done in 6 hours or less, it is a good idea to combine the two operations.
  • At times, because of the extent of surgery or health problems, it is better to do them separately.
  • At your consultation, discuss this with the surgery whom you choose for your operations.
  • Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Best wishes - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Tummy tuck & breast reduction together?

Thank you for your photos and inquiry. Yes, it is safe to have these procedures done at once. It would be better  to have them done at once then having to be put under anesthesia twice. This procedure is less than 5-6 hours. I recommend seeking a board certified plastic surgeon for further details. Best of luck! 

Ricardo Vega, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck + breast reduction together?

Thank you for this question.  These procedures are commonly performed together provided that the patient is healthy, the anticipated surgery time is less than 6 hours, the patient is a good candidate for the procedure with a stable weight and is not a smoker.  Be sure to consult with an experienced board certified plastic surgeon.  Good luck!

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS

Tummy tuck + breast reduction together? Safe practice ?

Combining cosmetic plastic surgery procedures like a tummy tuck and a breast reduction is not uncommon. Whether you are a reasonable candidate for those procedures depends on your anatomy, your medical history, the extent of the procedures, realistic expectations of the outcome and an understanding of the pros and cons of the various procedures.

Safety should always be the main concern. It is generally recommended that the length of elective surgery be less than six hours. The procedures should be performed in an ambulatory facility that is accredited by one of the national organizations like the American Association for Accreditation of Ambulatory Surgical Facilities (AAAASF) or in a licensed hospital. Many surgeons would recommend an overnight stay at an appropriate facility where you can be appropriately monitored. Most patients prefer undergoing one anesthesia and one recovery period which is usually more cost effective.

Keep in mind that following the advice of any surgeon on this or any other web site who proposes to tell you what to do without: examining you, physically feeling the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, and taking a full medical history, as well as discussing the pros and cons of each operative option would not be in your best interest. I would suggest you find a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon certified by The American Board of
Plastic Surgery who is ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) that you trust and are comfortable with, and discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person. That way, you can have a better idea what is safe and makes the most sense for you.

Before proceeding with a combination of these procedures, you should have medical clearance from your primary care physician and a discussion between him or her and your plastic surgeon.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Abdominoplasty and Breast Reduction combo

Yes, it is safe to perform and breast reduction and abdominoplasty simultaneously on the proper patient.  I recommend locating a board-certified plastic surgeon in your area to schedule and in-person consultation and discuss your options.  Best of luck to you.

Carmen Kavali, MD

Combined surgery

Yes I frequently do a tummy tuck and breast reduction together but the risks increase for complications such as wound healing.  With the pics you showed I would suggest staging them. I would talk you out of combining them.  I would be worried about healing complications.  I combine the procedures on younger patients who have smaller tummy tucks to do.  

The surgery can last anywhere from 5 -7 hours or more depending on the surgeons experience.  Puts you at a greater risk of a blood clot or pulmonary complications.  Best to be safe and stage it.  Look for a board certified plastic surgeon. 

Andrew T. Cohen, MD

Yes, these two procedures are frequently performed together, and it is safe to perform them simultaneously.  I would suggest that you consult with a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss your options.  The risks of surgery do increase when you combine procedures, and he or she will be able to discuss these issues with you.  However, if you are otherwise healthy, and the combined procedure will take less then 6 hours or so, many surgeons (including myself) will combine these procedures.  Good luck!

Anureet K. Bajaj, MD
Oklahoma City Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck and Breast Reduction can be preformed together

Combination procedures are very common in plastic surgery.  The patient must be in good health and the length of the procedure must be reasonable to decrease the chance of post operative complications. Please visit with a Board Certifed Plastic Surgeon who specializes in body contouring procedures to optimize your final result.

Good Luck!

David Finkle, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon