Do I have tuberous breasts? (Photo)

Hello and thank you for your time! I've been contemplating BA since as long as I can remember and I want to get it done this year around summer time. I have no fear and no doubts! I'm 5'1'' and around 130 lbs, 18, non smoker, no kids. My parents are also fully supportive. My questions are the following: 1. Do I have tuberous breast? 2. Can I breast feed after reconstruction/augmentation? 3. What are the steps for surgery? Thank you

Tuberous breasts

Dear elimon11,

Thank you for your clinical post and photographs. From the photographs you appear to have a mild to moderate tuberous breast phenotype or constriction to the bottom pole.

You’d be a good candidate for a breast augmentation with release of the constricting bands and expansion of the inferior poles of the breast. A very high percentage of patients can breastfeed after breast augmentation but some can’t and just as some women without breast augmentation can’t feed successfully.

In general, the steps involve a thorough consultation with an experienced breast augmentation surgeon. I would seek out a consultation with a physician that has experience with or has a 3D photo imaging station such as the Vectra 3D. I’ve been using this device for 7 years and its advanced photo imaging station allows patients with my guidance to try on different size and shapes of implants and get a very accurate sense of what the ultimate post-operative result will be.

You need to prepare for the surgery and the post-op recovery of one week or less and allow a good 8-12 weeks for the implants to settle into the pocket and soften.

There are also opportunities for fat grafting in the tuberous breast phenotype as sometimes the inadequate amount inferior pole breast gland leads to a double bubble appearance on the lower pole, but in general this can be avoided by selecting the proper implant base, width characteristics.

To find out more or schedule a consultation, please visit the link below.

R. Stephen Mulholland, M.D.
Certified Plastic Surgeon
Yorkville, Toronto

Minimal tuberous breast

You have some constriction of the inferior breast but not obvious tuberous breast deformity. A thorough exam would answer this question with more certainty. It would also better determine if OHIP would cover any costs.  It is possible that in addition to a breast augmentation that some release of constricting bands be required. 

Dr Rodger Shortt
Oakville plastic surgeon
Director of cosmetic surgery training
and Assistant clinical professor 
McMaster University

Rodger Shortt, FRCSC

Tuberous breasts?

Thank you for your question and photos. You appear to have some slight constriction of the lower poles. This can typically be addressed along with a straightforward breast augmentation using breast implants. I recommend that you book a consultation with a board certified Plastic Surgeon who specialises in this procedure.

All the best  

Breast augmentation #breastimplants #breastsurgery #breastlift #beauty #tuberousbreasts

Dear elimon11

Thank you for your questions and photos!

Your breast shape is slightly narrowed at the areola with some gland protruding more on the right side.
You would need a breast implant or fat grafting to shape the breast. There would need to be some release of the bands to achieve a good result.  Breast feeding - it is not know who can or can not after surgery of the breast- whether it is augmentation, reduction or mastopexy.

With Warm Regards

Trevor M Born MD

Trevor M. Born, MD

Do I have tuberous breasts?

Hi... thank you for the question and photos... No you do not have Tuberous breast characteristics... If you want to improve your breast size, i suggest you a breast augmentation, these would not interfere with your future breast feeding. 

Luis A. Mejia, MD

Tuberous breasts?

I think you look a bit tight in the lower pole, but you do not look like you have a true tuberous breast. Often implants alone will be ok.  Best of luck.

Small breast, breast augmentation candidate. some advices:

Thanks for sharing your concerns with us. 
In my practice for cases like yours i recommend breast augmentation with implants. I prefer to use the Cohesive Gel - Silicone Breast Implants with textured cover ("gummy bear implants") They are quite safe and aesthetically best as they give a firmer consistency, better projection and natural appearance.
Kind regards, 
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

By the strict definition of tuberous breast, you do not have the condition. You do have small breasts that are rather 'pointy', but you do not have a crease that is excessively high on the chest and your tissue does not herniate into the areola.

A sub-pectoral implant (under the muscle), with a mild release of the breast tissue to lay a little flatter over the implant would be best for you, IMO. I don't think you would require a lift, and I would be hesitant to perform a lift on you being so young and with your desires to crest-feed in the future.

BA alone can interrupt your ability to breast feed, albeit very rarely, but dissection into the breast tissue to 'release ' it might increase your risk slightly. Weigh those risks carefully, and seek the advice of a BCPS in your area.

Kirk Moore, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Tuberous breasts?

Hard to be certain without physical exam, but it appears that you do not have tuberous breasts, simply modestly tight inframammary folds. You are still kind of young, so go slowly and do your homework. You should be able to breast feed if implants are placed below the muscle.
 I try to tailor each breast augmentation operation to my patient's desires and body type. There are pros and cons regarding saline and silicone implants, and patient anatomy and preference play a role in selection. The same is true regarding implant projection. Be sure to consult with a board certified plastic surgeon and go to your consult with all your questions written down so you don't forget to ask something. Good Luck!

Robert M. Tornambe, MD

Tuberous breasts

Hello, you appear to have a very mild tuberous breast appearance.   Breast feeding is often possible after breast augmentation but not guaranteed; even people who don't have breast surgery might not be able to do this successfully.  For your next steps I would seek out several plastic surgeons who have experience treating this condition because some aspects of the surgery are different than routine breast augmentation surgery.