Best treatments to get melasma and sun damage under control? (photos)

I have done Cosmelan md a couple of years ago, and also started getting Fraxel but I never peel and every time I get a darker tan on my skin that does not go away. After 3 treatments I have stopped because of summer moths but not sure where to go from here. I am looking for treatments that doesn't require laser.

Melasma and Cosmelan

Melasma is best treated with Cosmelan medical grade peels for this condition.  I would definitely avoid Fraxel or lasers with this treatment.  Strict sun avoidance is necessary going forward.  Best, Dr. Green

Melasma and Sun Spots -- Best Treamtent Is Clear + Brilliant / Fraxel 1927 with Microneedling PRP, Pro Yellow is Useful

There is no "cure" for melasma but there are great treatments. We are doing a clinical trial now on clear + brilliant with bleaching and microneedling and getting amazing results. I suggest you see an expert. You will need lifelong treatment, sun protection, skin care. But these treatments can give you improvement and then you maintain. Best , Dr. Emer

Treatments for melasma

Thank you for your question lilylili. Melasma is a common condition which is challenging to treat. Before any treatments I have my patients start on a skin care regimen containing hydroquinone, kojic acid, retinoic acid, vitamins C and E, ferulic acid, hyaluronic acid, and sunscreen. After approximately two months, the skin improves and a treatment can be done with a reduced risk of side effects such as hyperpigmentation. I have developed the Ultimate Rejuvenation treatment that works well for melasma. It starts with a Forever Young BBL IPL photofacial treatment, followed by a Micro Laser Peel and a Pro Fractional treatment. After that topical liquid hydroquinone is applied on the skin. The channels formed from the Pro Fractional treatment allow the hydroquinone to penetrate deeper into the skin and address the deep pigment. Non-laser treatments such as chemical peels can work well if the pigment is in the surface layers of the skin. But with deeper pigment, deeper treatments are required. Please consult with a doctor for specific recommendations. Good luck!

Alex Eshaghian, MD, PhD
Encino Physician